Doing some Maintenance, need some suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doing some Maintenance, need some suggestions

I am trying to make sure I keep up on the maintenance on my GS1100G. I just had my fork seals replaced because i saw oil on the forks, and my oil changed, along with the shop's "safety check."
    A while back i also etched out the tank to get rid of any rrust, cause there was a little.
    I am thinking about replacing the air filter and fuel filter. I noticed that it makes a clicking sound. It sounds like its coming from around the carbs. Is this a bad thing? Any ideas? This is my second bike and i have been riding for just over a year so im definitely still learning.
    Also the faceplate of my spedometer, the one that actually has the speed marks on it has come loose inside its housing. My mechanic said you can't open it and that i would need to just get a new set of gauges. He said i should try to find a used one. My question is does anyone know where i can find one or what other years and models of GS would have compatible gauges? I believe my bike is a 1982 gs1100g.
    Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Anthony

Originally posted by anthonyridesgs1100 View Post
    I am trying to make sure I keep up on the maintenance on my GS1100G. I just had my fork seals replaced because i saw oil on the forks, and my oil changed, along with the shop's "safety check."
    A while back i also etched out the tank to get rid of any rrust, cause there was a little.
    I am thinking about replacing the air filter and fuel filter. I noticed that it makes a clicking sound. It sounds like its coming from around the carbs. Is this a bad thing? Any ideas? This is my second bike and i have been riding for just over a year so im definitely still learning.
    Also the faceplate of my spedometer, the one that actually has the speed marks on it has come loose inside its housing. My mechanic said you can't open it and that i would need to just get a new set of gauges. He said i should try to find a used one. My question is does anyone know where i can find one or what other years and models of GS would have compatible gauges? I believe my bike is a 1982 gs1100g.
    Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Anthony
    Regarding the click, I can't think of anything in the carbs that could possibly be causing that. Does it increase with RPMs? Is it there when the clutch is pulled in and/or bike is in neutral/in gear? It might be noisy valves -- make sure you adjust them! But then again I don't think you'd generally describe out-of adjustment valves as "a click".

Comment

The click could be your tach cable loosening up. Mine will vibrate out and start making a clicking noise just before it backs out of the socket.

Comment

A click around the carbs is probably your cam chain tensioner. It is located in the middle of your cylinders right under the carbs. The only reason I can think of that it would click is because of a cracked or worn cam chain guide. (number 11 in pic) Could be you just need to remove and clean the tensioner itself.

1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
        X