Valve cover install help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Valve cover install help please

I am trying to install my valve cover gasket and head. There is this THING in the front of the engine towards the front fender in the midle, infront of the chain thats in the damn way. I cant get the gasket over it or the cover. Am I supposed to push it back or something????

I think it is called the cam chain guide and its in my way. Any info here?

Comment

Anyone ????

Comment

It's been a LONG while since I fooled with those, but if it is the front cam chain guide it shouldn't be sticking up that high. The top of the black guide should have a protrusion on each side that fits into the top of the front of the cylinder head. I didn't think you could pop it up without removing the cams. I could be wrong or totally misunderstanding you so be careful. I think you want to push it down so you can just see the top of it fitting into the cutout in the cylinder head. But agian, I seem to remember not being able to do that with the cams in place. Don't force.

Comment

A picture or two would be helpful...

There are lots of "things" on our bikes. Most of them are there for a reason.

Comment

Originally posted by chiphead View Post
            It's been a LONG while since I fooled with those, but if it is the front cam chain guide it shouldn't be sticking up that high. The top of the black guide should have a protrusion on each side that fits into the top of the front of the cylinder head. I didn't think you could pop it up without removing the cams. I could be wrong or totally misunderstanding you so be careful. I think you want to push it down so you can just see the top of it fitting into the cutout in the cylinder head. But agian, I seem to remember not being able to do that with the cams in place. Don't force.
            Clymer says pull while still in place. Didnt check in stall. Never thought to try and push it down :P Will check it out thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by mortation View Post
              Clymer says pull while still in place. Didnt check in stall. Never thought to try and push it down :P Will check it out thanks.
              Nope cams have to come off to take it on or off. Jesus. I can't be mucking with that crap now....

Comment

Originally posted by Tom MLC View Post
                A picture or two would be helpful...

There are lots of "things" on our bikes. Most of them are there for a reason.
                Last edited by Guest; 03-15-2007, 05:33 PM. Reason: made pic smaller

Comment

pic

I'm actually quite interested in this thread as I'll be changing the gasket on my 850 very soon! You may want to try & repost that pic and make it smaller...I couldn't really see anything...

Comment

Originally posted by 80sGSfan View Post
                    I'm actually quite interested in this thread as I'll be changing the gasket on my 850 very soon! You may want to try & repost that pic and make it smaller...I couldn't really see anything...
                    I am gonna try to slide the guide back down without forcing it. If that doesnt work the cams have to come off I don't know why this happened. Everything was in right when i took the lid off :P

Comment

That's the cam chain guide all right. You should push down on it while rotating the motor a bit , so the guide and the cam chain go down together.

You can push pretty hard on the guide. Just don't tap or hit it. Pull off the cover you are trying to install and use a small block of wood to push the guide back down. Make sure its side pegs are aligned into the recesses in the head
                      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                      2007 DRz 400S
                      1999 ATK 490ES
                      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
                        That's the cam chain guide all right. You should push down on it while rotating the motor a bit , so the guide and the cam chain go down together.

You can push pretty hard on the guide. Just don't tap or hit it. Pull off the cover you are trying to install and use a small block of wood to push the guide back down. Make sure its side pegs are aligned into the recesses in the head
                        I am gonna give it a shot after the monsters are in bed and the missus is entranced with American Idol :P Thanks!

Comment

Yeah, it looks like the cam chain guide popped up a bit. Looks like it slides down into a socket in the lower part of the guide. Here's what I see in the parts fiche.

Hopefully your guide is not broken. That would be a major bummer. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom MLC View Post
                            Hopefully your guide is not broken. That would be a major bummer. Good luck.
                            I already ordered the no1 guide. But if the one down in the bottom of the case is whacked then well yea. I am screwed :P

Comment

I can't see the pic that well, but any chance the gasket is upside down, "one way"? Some valve cover gaskets do fit better if flipped over. Some don't.
                              If you get it to go, I've always applied a very light coating of bearing grease on both sides of the gasket before assembly. It helps hold the gasket a bit while covering it, but the main benefit is that it helps the gasket seal and the gasket comes off much easier the next time.
                              This was recommended by other members here years ago and it works well for me. Be sure to uniformly tighten the bolts and don't over-torque them.
                              And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                              Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Working...
                              X