Crazy engine!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ryan
    Using an aftermarket jet kit is cheating.
    If you do enough research/brain picking, you can be innovative and sucessful with any engine tuning project. Research the correct ratios for jet oraface to choke/venturi cross section area and you're half way there. This of course is related to the ideal air/fuel ratio for efficient combustion.
    If you're going to do the heavy mods, do your homework first, then go for it.
    Bear in mind that the cost of more speed is never cheap.
    :) The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold
    GS 850GT JE 1023 11-1 pistons. Sold
    GS1150ES3 stock, V&H 4-1. Sold
    GS1100GD, future resto project. Sold

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000001.jpg
    http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000581.jpg

Comment

to all those who are "ribbing" me.....back off! I may be a newbie here at this site but not a newbie to mods. So don't go runnin yer mouths if you don't know the person. Sometimes ya gotta do what you can with what you have.

and a big thanks to the guys here that are backin me up. Yall gave me some valuable info instead of harpin on me. If someone could get me a part number for those K&N pods they'd be my best friend.

oh yeah, to all the old "stockers" out there....I respect ya as motorcyclists. I've been riding for 11 years. But I have to say, stock is boring. I want my bike to be a one of a kind and not just by appearance. These bikes are great platforms to be creative with.

Ps - I DID search thru the other posts for my problem before I posted. I didn't find an exact match to the symptoms.

Comment

Bridgeport...I'm the last to throw stones for a mod project, I think that my GS is the only toy in the stalls, that I've not moded. I just happen to think that when Suzuki built these bikes, they nailed it, right from the get go! \\/ That, and add a little nostalgia of having been around when they first hit the streets, and you have the perfect combo for a case of "leave it alone". :-D On the other hand, if you find one that you want to toy with, go nuts! Below is a link to K&N's web site. You will need to get the outside diameter of your carbs first. http://www.knfilters.com/universal/universal.htm

Comment

49er, yes you can do the jetting your self and spend lots of hours figuing it out and buy maore stuff then you need, or you can go the easier way and buy a kit that is design for specific mods that you are looking to do.

cafe is not looking to port or bore out, turbo his engine just run pods and a more open exhaust. so why waste time messing with a bunch of extra jets and stuff when someone elses has already, granted it's not plug and go and some fine tuning will be need but is better then buying a hand full of stuff and hope you got what you need.

cafe here is the k&N number:

1981 SUZUKI GS650E 650 - inc. 2 filtersMotorcycle / PowersportsClamp-On FilterRC-2382

you can do a search for then as well on the k and n website, rember all you need is one kit or box (2 filters come in the box) and one filter fits on 2 carbs at once.

you a southside chicago irishman by any chance?
          78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
          82 Kat 1000 Project
          05 CRF450x
          10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave8338 View Post
            Smart but old...I can live with that! Beter smart and old than young and dumb... :shock: Oh come on, someone other than me wanted to say that!! \\/

Rat, glad to here that you've got her up and running. You have to admit that with a little effort, the wrenching thing can be fun! Congrats on the GS!
            my hats off to everyone who posts info on this site, it has helped more than you could know.:-D ..i remember there being a post on home painting and it had a list of materials and more or less explained in detail painting the tank n fenders and such. if anyone knows where thats at a link would be greatly appreciated...o and my bad for jacking your thread \\/

Comment

[quote=first timer;607106]49er, yes you can do the jetting your self and spend lots of hours figuing it out and buy maore stuff then you need, or you can go the easier way and buy a kit that is design for specific mods that you are looking to do.

First Timer, You're right when you say the easy way is to get a recognised kit. My suggestion was for the more radial approach, as I thought the main theme was "stock is boring". I just thought the really bored ones might like to challenge their patience. Bordem is lost very quickly when trying to tune the relatively unknown.
              :) The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold

Comment

[quote=49er;607154]
                Originally posted by first timer View Post

First Timer, You're right when you say the easy way is to get a recognised kit. My suggestion was for the more radial approach, as I thought the main theme was "stock is boring". I just thought the really bored ones might like to challenge their patience. Bordem is lost very quickly when trying to tune the relatively unknown.
                This is why multiple bikes are a must!! It eases the pain of downtime!:-D

Brad bt

Comment

[quote=bradleymaynar;607310]
                  Originally posted by 49er View Post

This is why multiple bikes are a must!! It eases the pain of downtime!:-D

Brad bt
                  Good idea Brad. I have been trying to persuade my better half that an 1150 would look great parked along side the 850. She doesn't ride so "non comprenez vous".
                  Seriously though, the reason I was reluctant to do any radical changes to my 850 besides the custom 900 pistons (10.5-1), was because as Dave 8338 pointed out, Mr Zuki really "did get it right". With an exellent Cycle Works 4-1 exhaust and minor carb tuning the bike is a ripper. The best part is that the extra CR promotes greater torque in the 4000-9000 rev range and provides huge braking assistance on decel. I feel I have the best of both worlds, broader powerband and with great reliability. I guess I have to admit to a minor degree, "stock is boring".

Comment

Working...
                  X