Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Progressive springs

1980 GS850L

How do I know if I have them in my front forks? I have them disassembled now and I dont know what I am looking at. I did a quick search on Ebay and they look like what I see, but I dont know. What do I look for?

[IMG]file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/BRIAN/My%20Documents/My%20Pictures/Bike/Forks/Forksweb.jpg[/IMG]

They look like how I've been led to believe the stock ones should look. They are progressively wound too but are much softer & have a big spacer on the top. The progressive ones should be longer I think.

Dan
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

if you click on the photo on top you will see the photo closer. It has a spacer and has a progressive coil. Is this stock or what everyone is calling progressive?

It has a spacer at the top and a washer thing that fits on the top, you can see them in the photo.

And a big thank you for all that help.
      Last edited by Guest; 03-15-2007, 07:45 PM. Reason: forgot info

Comment

The stock coils are progressively wound as well. Just soft at least they are in the non L models.

I suggest you check unsprung length against your manual that should tell you.

If they were the progressive springs I would expect the spacer to be a lump of plastic pipe....

Dan
        1980 GS1000G - Sold
        1978 GS1000E - Finished!
        1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
        1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
        2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
        1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
        2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

O, Ok a lump. Now thinking that they are stock, what brand of progressive is the best?

Comment

Please forgive hijack

If you don't mind, bcrowther, I would like to add to your question. My front suspension is extremely soft - very easy to compress. I am also looking at Progessive springs. Now, I realize I'm most likely very low on fluid, and that will correct some of the problem. However, I have read somewhere in the forum that Progressive springs vastly improves handling, and the old OEM springs actually can be dangerous.

I would also like recommendations on best progressive springs, but for a GS650GLX. Appreciate any feedback...

Norseman

Comment

no, I'm good, any info is good info.

Comment

I think there's a little confusion here. Progressive is a type of spring winding, and it's also a brand name.

I installed Progressives all around on my bike it makes a big difference. My advice, from the grand total of one installation, is to go through your forks when you put the springs in. It's not a really tough job and it makes a big difference. Follow the Clymer manual and you can knock it out in a weekend. The worst part of the job is that you'll need an impact wrench or a special holding tool you can make.

If I remember right, they had a few choices of light to heavy duty. I bought heavy duty and they adjust to whatever I need at the time for road conditions, passenger, etc. I got mine from Bikebandit. You may be able to beat their prices, but I bought all the parts for my forks from them at the same type. I hope this helps.

Comment

The pic you provided is of a set of progressively wound springs. they are wore out though. The coils at the left side nearly touch by the looks of it. Time to switch. Progressive type springs are comfy at normal ride height and get Progressively stiffer as they compress. To do this, the springs are wound tighter at one end than the other at a rate to get whatever ride feel is intended.
                  Aftermarket progressives will be of a stiffer wind than stock. If they are too stiff for you, you can use lighter oil to help bring back some movement but most people are so amazed at the difference of old to new that its like riding a new bike. Even new stock progressive springs would be a vast improvement over those old wore out jobby's in the pic.

The spacers sometimes found at the top of the springs -or- added later are to add preload to the springs making them stiffer. I think that looks like a sleeve (Correct if Im wrong) because the springs are narrower at one end thus they slap the inside of the tube,\. the sleeve takes up the space and keeps the springs from slapping (making noise)

The company "Progressive" is the biggest maker/supplier of progressively wound springs for both forks and shocks. Almost any springs you buy for the old bikes will be made by progressive just branded for the selling company. I'd avoid aftermarket import springs unless they were NOS or OEM.

I read that Suzuki led the industry in progressive front forks in the late 70's - early 80's. My 83' E model has very stiff stock progressive springs.

Check Bike Bandit in the aftermarket suspension section. They list my bike there. Maybe yours
                  Last edited by Guest; 03-15-2007, 11:46 PM.

Comment

Try http://www.progressivesuspension.com/ and they should have a listing for your bike. Almost all of the aftermarket catalog companies carry them. The instructions that come with them usually have a spacer recommendation by model. Of course the ones for mine did not. Search for front fork sag and you will find many opinions on preload. I had seen Hagon mentioned here as a good spring and I bought Hagon replacements for the rear of my 1100 and have been happy with them. They also make front springs although I have not used them but might try them in the future for my 850. I believe Hagons are manufactured in England.
                    82 GS850L - The Original http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ePics067-1.jpg
                    81 GS1000L - Brown County Hooligan http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ivePics071.jpg
                    83 GS1100L - Super Slab Machine http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...t=DCP_1887.jpg
                    06 KLR650 - "The Clown Bike" http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...nt=SERally.jpg
                    AKA "Mr Awesome"

Comment

Working...
                    X