Carburetor syncronization???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carburetor syncronization???

How important is this really? I can probably handle taking the carbs apart and cleaning them, but syncronizing them seems a bit complicated.

How important is this?

It is important. miss adj carbs can cause vibs, poor running , plug fouling.
    You can get away temp with a mechanical sync

Comment

Originally posted by SuperCell View Post
      How important is this really? I can probably handle taking the carbs apart and cleaning them, but syncronizing them seems a bit complicated.

How important is this?
      If you can take your carbs apart and put them back together, you can do a synch. Its not that hard and if your going to own and enjoy your bike you pretty much need to learn how to do it. A synchronizer is around $40 - $60. You'll also need a couple of good fans to keep things cool while you do the job.

Go for it!

Comment

The only difficult thing comes from which type of carbs you have. I think CV's are a little less involved than VM's. The VM's require you to remove the top of the carb while the CV's have everything outside the carbs.

And just a helpful hint, make sure you start with the #3 carb (from the left side of the bike). It's adjustment is based off the throttle knob.

Brad bt

Comment

How important? Very.

Let's assume that 3 carbs are just barely open, just enough to see a sliver of light past the butterfly valve. The fourth carb might be open a full 1/16", and it's open just enough to keep the engine running. Basically, the engine is running on that one cylinder at idle. By the way, it would be running VERY rough.

Let's turn that around. 3 cylinders are open about 1/32", the fourth is closed. The engine is running smoother, with 3 cylinders firing, but the fourth one does not get enough gas until you start accellerating, then, when it fires, power comes on suddenly.

Either one of these scenarios involves uneven heating within the engine, unbalanced forces and marginal rideability. With the carbs synchronized, all the cylinders will be pulling equally. Some feel that they should be set with the engine at a particular speed, but that is not as important as load. For example, you barely have to move the throttle to get to 4000 rpm in neutral, but have to move it a bit farther to hit 4000 rpm in 5th gear. THAT would be the throttle setting to use, but it is hard to duplicate while synchronizing the carbs in neutral. I feel that it is most important (and easiest) to just sync them at idle and let the rest of the rpm range take care of itself.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
          X