Are these rear pads worn out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are these rear pads worn out?

gs850GLZ. I'm not sure how to tell if pads are done. The clymer book said there should be a shoulder on the pad, but I don't see any similarity to the pictures in the book. Thanks all.

the Haynes manual says there is a red line on the pad and when U get up to it replace them . Looks like they aren't worn out yet but brakes are very important as U know If any doubt replace them

Comment

The illustration in the manuals are based on the OEM pads. Aftermarket replacements don't use the same wear indicators. I would use the center groove of the pad as an estimate of remaining life. If the bottom of the groove is reached, the pad is very close to metal contact. Your pads look OK for now. When the groove starts to become shallow, I would replace the pads.

Comment

A side view would be a lot better so we can see the thickness.

Comment

In the automotive world, a general rule of thumb!!!!
          If the brake material is as thin as the steel plate its attached to, its time for replacement.

Comment

not worn out but very crusty rusty looking.

the friction material deteriorates over time, you don't want to jump on the brakes and have chunks of brake pad come shooting out!!

Comment

Rear pads are cheap, you have them off so if you have the cash I would just swap em. I got mine local for $26 in stock. You can go by the groove like Boondocks said. If the there is no groove or it really shallow swap em.

Comment

I agree, the red line on the OEM pads is the same as the groove on the aftermarket pads. When it's gone, be it the red line or groove, it's time to replace
                1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Since you've taken the time to remove them, you might as well replace them.

Brad bt

Comment

There are two types of indicators on pads. One being a red line to show wear the other is a grove in the middle of the pad. When the grove had been removed the pad will be flat but not touching the metal back plate. At that time the pad is worn out.

There are other reasons for a pad being worn out such as chunks removed the the pad material, uneven wear, contanination such as oil, grease etc.

If you can afford to replace them just for peace of mind.

Suzuki mad

1981 GS1000ET
                    1983 GS(X)1100ESD
                    2002 GSF1200K1

Comment

Working...
                    X