'81 850-hard start when cold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'81 850-hard start when cold

I've replaced my coils...removed my carbs [they had been rebuilt before I bought the bike, by a shop], and adjusted on them- I have a mercury manometer...maybe I have them too rich...out about 4 turns on the idle screws...new plugs and wires...still starts and sounds like it's running on 2 cylinders until it warms up...and it's hard to keep her running long enough to warm up. I sometimes can't believe how strong my battery is. My xs1100 would have killed that battery a hundred times by now. Does one of you have a suggestion? I'll probally try to screw the idle screws back in to about 1.5 turns or so...see if that helps. I need to get this thing going so I can pull the motor in my van and put new cam bearings in it...Thanks, in advance, for any words of wisdom. :?

just wanted to add, the plugs look good...

Comment

4 turns out would seem excessive. Don't forget the small stuff like clean airfilter, tight carb connections, fresh gas..etc. My 850 runs like crap after winter storage, untill the stale treated gas is run out. Also, a lot of moisture in the air, if sitting overnite, will cause it to idle like crap till it warms up.

Comment

The best I remember, most all of the GS's were pretty cold natured. Due to emission rules, they were jetted very lean, even on the pilot circuit. I've found that going up, one size, on the pilot jets improves cold starts, a lot. "Shhhh" don,t tell the EPA people.

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips
          The best I remember, most all of the GS's were pretty cold natured. Due to emission rules, they were jetted very lean, even on the pilot circuit. I've found that going up, one size, on the pilot jets improves cold starts, a lot. "Shhhh" don,t tell the EPA people.
          Yes, my bike has always been cold natured. When I removed the plugs over the mixture screws, I found the two outboard carb screws to be fully seated. I would think that is ridiculously lean. Not up to changing the pilot jets though. Those carbs have been on there for 20 years, and it doesn't sound like a fun job

Comment

Earl suggested I check for a vaccumm leak by using RTV in the intake boots [where the metal meets the rubber], which I did and which helped a lot. Subsequently, I've developed other, hopefully, easily solved carburation problems [#2 overflowing, running crappy...probally due to sitting too long with no attention or TLC]. He also said he's had luck with raising the float height a little to shorten the cold-nature problem. I intend to try that, one day soon. Other than that, I appreciate y'alls comments and suggestions...S'long, Larry

Comment

Working...
            X