dumb question - removing tach cable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dumb question - removing tach cable

I need to remove the cylinder head, and therefore first the tachometer cable from the head on my 82 gs550 - there's a screw which holds down a little metal plate right above the tach cable, and i removed that, thinking it would allow the cable to slide off of the head. But i was wrong I think - the manual gives no instructions - it just says to "remove" the cable from the head - How???

Thanks!

you should be able to just unscrew it but you may have to get some pliers on it.

you dont need to take the screw out. just wrap the "fluted" part? (lines running lengthwise) with a rag and grasp it with a pair of locking pliers as to not damage the screw.

Also note to take care when reinstalling it as there is a flat on the end of the tach cable which has to slot into the shaft running off the cam. if you dont match up the slots your tach wont work. you'll get it once you see it.

Comment

The knurled end of the cable is threaded in. If its too tight by hand use a plyers.
      82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

How did you get this picture to be visible on the post? (and not as a linked attachment?)

Thank you both for your help.

Comment

Originally posted by natedees View Post
          How did you get this picture to be visible on the post? (and not as a linked attachment?)

Thank you both for your help.

Photobucket. Download from my pictures. Copy. Paste to your post. Waalaa !
          82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Working...
          X