it never ends-need inexpensive needle valves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

it never ends-need inexpensive needle valves

you might recall, i've been having petcock difficulties with my 78 GS1000E. solved the problem, had too much fuel line and the gas wouldn't climb the hill. shorter line and it started right up. success!

then it sat overnight and i woke up to a floor full of gas. the gas was leaking from the airbox drain on the bottom. i think i avoided getting gas in the motor, the oil doesn't stink like gas and the level looks the same. but i'll change it to be safe. man, it just never freaking ends.

it is either still the petcock or i have something lodged in a needle valve. i replaced the valves less than a year ago and the bike has travelled less than 30 miles since. i am thinking i'll replace the needle valves, along with the petcock i ordered friday.

i am so tired of messing with this bike. i want to ride the &#@* thing.

anyone know where i can get a good deal on needle valves without a rebuild kit attached to them?

thanks.

Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.

Comment

Thanks Tarbash

I may ride this thing yet.

Comment

vents

check that your float bowl vents are not blocked - if they are, it will lead to exactly the problems you described, even with new, properly functioning needle valves.

Comment

If your petcock was working properly you wouldn't have gas everywhere. Make sure you don't have it on prime.
          I've never heard of float needles and seats going bad so soon. Could be a float level problem or there is debris in your float bowls.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I'll keep you posted

Going to do a quick clean on the carbs this week. Pull the bowls and check the float levels and bowl vents. Inspect the needles and seats. Use plenty of hazardous chemicals and compressed air.

A new petcock will hopefully arrive before the weekend.

Then I'll throw the carbs in place without the airbox, set the tank on, plug in the fuel line and turn it to prime to see what happens.

Wish me luck.

Comment

Good luck...........................
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

It's easy to check the new petcock (or the old one, for that matter) by connecting a vacuum source (rubber squeeze bulb works fine) to the line which goes to the manifold and seeing what happens. No fuel should flow in the "Reserve" or "On" position until you pull a vacuum on that line. With the petcock in "Prime" position fuel should flow freely.
                Lecturn_2000

Comment

I ran into the same problem, with gas running out of the air box and also loading cylinders up with fuel to the point the starter would not spin engine. I had put a kit in the petcock, but upon checking it found it was still letting gas by. I had also put new needle and seats in last summer. Played with the spring tension in the petcock ie stretch it alittle bit and it seemed to help, but I think what fixed the problem was putting new o-rings on the needle valve assenbly. They did'nt really look that bad , but I really think that was the fix. The paradox is that if the petcock is holding the needles are'nt that big of a deal and if the needles are holding the petcock is'nt a big problem, but it all works together to some degree. If I had to do it over I would definitely buy a new petcock valve. I know its frustrating, but hang in there, you will get it figured out!! Good luck and ride safe. Freshly restore GS 1000G

Comment

The carb needles aren't designed or able to hold back gasoline for long periods of time.

The petcock MUST be functioning properly (no gas flows at all when engine is not running).

And, as noted above, the rebuild kits are worthless -- a new petcock is the only way.

I understand the frustration, but there's always "one more thing" with any 25+ year old vehicle. These are basically supremely reliable bikes -- I'd ride my GS anywhere -- but you can't let up on maintenance, and you almost always have to deal with and correct decades of neglect before you develop a high level of confidence in a vintage bike. Hang in there, keep learning and keep improving your skills and your bike.

If you truly don't want to get your hands dirty, you'll need to visit your local friendly motorcycle dealer and get something with an extended warranty. And a payment book.
                    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Dirty Hands?

This is an old post of mine. After I wrote it, I ponied up for a new petcock. After installation, the big boy started and ran just far enough to strand me with a twenty minute walk home from the bad part of town. I thought, "why didn't I bring my phone?" Then I realized where I was and thought, "heck with the phone, why didn't I bring my .45?"

Problem was no gas, I put the wrong length of fuel line on. It climbed up a little too far under the tank and the gallon of gas would'nt push into the carbs-even on prime. I know, put in more gas! But, you never know when you need that last 1/4 gallon to get you to the next station. Off with the tank, new line, started right up and I rode home, rode bicycle back for truck. Problem solved? Not just yet.

Must have picked up some debris from the newly radiator shop sealed, freshly painted gas tank because it ended up in #3 carb and I had gas flowing out the vent tube when the bike was running. Shut the motor off and hey! the new petcock really works! Pulled the #3 bowl on the bike and found a little bit of debris. That was about three weeks ago and I haven't had a spare minute to reassemble the carb, drain and flush the tank 9 times to and put it back together. But, my 74 Yamaha DT175 and 84 Suzuki quad are both nearing completion. Time allocation, you know...

Most of my frustration lies with the thousand bucks or so I've spent refurbing it - new needle valves included - without a single day in the reupholstered seat. Just undoing the neglect and wear on a great old bike. But that is pretty much what I should expect from a free bike with 47k on the ticker. Yep, hauled it out of a garage as a favor.

But, I am not sure how long I'll have the GS. The son of the PO is hot to get it back. His dad is ill and and it's a bit of nostalgia for him I guess. I've kept receipts plus he's willing to pay for some of my time. No way he could pay for all of the time and enjoyment I've had working on it for the last year.

So it looks like the payment book may be coming my way with a tidy sum from a GS restoration. And there's always chances to get my hands dirty with a newer bike. How many bikes are ever too fast, too loud, too light, or the suspension just right? Plus, I'm 5'7" and weight 155. The GS is BIG bike to me!! If I stay with an older bike, it will be a much smaller XS650.

We'll see if I cave in and send him down the line. That's right, "him." These bikes are so cool, they deserve a masculine identity! Ha ha The GS wants to run, and I may not be able to part with it when I finally get it reliable. Sorry for the novel, but I hope you enjoyed my latest experience.

Comment

Thanks for the novel! I think we all feel your pain. But when you roll a GS out of the garage after some major project at 2:00 am with greasy hands and wobbly knees, tap the starter button lightly, and it springs to life instantly... somehow, at that moment, it's all worthwhile.

Originally posted by Surly View Post
                        Most of my frustration lies with the thousand bucks or so I've spent refurbing it - new needle valves included - without a single day in the reupholstered seat.
                        Only a thousand bucks? :-D
                        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

I had a problem with the petcock on my suzuki awhile back I rebuilt it but the face was pitted on it(leaked gas all over parking lot after rebuild) from neglect and I threw it away, I suppose it could be epoxied or filled in with lead solder or something and smoothed out, I was thinking that using petroleum jelly on the rubber parts before putting them back together might help. I just got a better petcock and the problem went away. Carbs will leak still if you put it on prime but as long as you shut off valve overnight it should not leak on floor. There is a sight on the net that sells the individual needle seats but I will have to get back to you on the link, I would get a new petcock first though. hope this helps.
                          Last edited by Guest; 04-11-2007, 08:46 PM.

Comment

No regrets.

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                            Thanks for the novel! I think we all feel your pain. But when you roll a GS out of the garage after some major project at 2:00 am with greasy hands and wobbly knees, tap the starter button lightly, and it springs to life instantly... somehow, at that moment, it's all worthwhile.

Only a thousand bucks? :-D
                            Yeah, only a thou. I haven't done much to make it purty other than painting the tank. The motor isn't too far from needing a top end rebuild, and I haven't had to deal with the electrical. Motor work and a Dyna S are on the horizon if I hang on to it.

I put it all back together last night. What can I say, I was inspired after composing the novel yesterday. Can't wait to get home and try it out. I will make sure to go the other direction, which is also uphill, for the next test ride. That way I'll be in my own neighborhood and can just coast home (done it before!) if any problems arise.

Comment

Working...
                            X