Identify 79 gs1000 ???????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Identify 79 gs1000 ???????

Can someone help me identify what model my GS1000 is, I know its not a sport (s) i believe its an E. But i don't know what to look for to identify it. The original tank has been changed to an 81, and paint redone. Different exhausts, and uni-filters. All I know is its a GS1000 and 1979. Any suggestions?

This is the bike.

Comment

Look in the gallery on this site. Find the pics. that looks like yours. That's it
      1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

'E" or "L" ?

Round indicators, round front master cylinder and no slots on discs. Looks like a 79 but is it a "L" with those bars or that just a american setup. Just look a tad high for "E" bars. But then again it is 27 yrs old so any bars could be there. But i think a "L' had 16in rear. I think!

Comment

Having recently got my mitts on an original Suzuki factory manual for the GS1000's (covering the years 78-81, so the full range of the 2-valve models), I have had a squiz at all the pictures of the different models.

The bike looks like an American/Canadian market GS1000E --
          • chrome blinkers
          • non-drilled discs
          • non-leading axle forks
          • handlebars look true to type
          • chromed front guard
          • non-pneumatic rear shockies

Your bike should have more of 'stepped' seat area for the pillion, but hey... seats rust out, and get replaced all the time.

Those slash-cut mufflers are aftermarket items readily available in the USA -- I see them on eBay all the time.

There's no way I would think it had been an 'L', because the changes they would have had to make would have been a lot of work: rear guard, seat, tank, forks (the L had 'leading axle' mounts), etc.

Hope that helps. Perhaps a good help in the identification stakes would be to see exactly what sort of VM carbies you have on the old girl? If an American market model, you will have VM28's... the ID number on them will be 49030. The Canadian models have VM26's, ID no. 49040.

Of course, this model identification scenario can get pretty tricky. Suzuki had so many model variations for different markets, it's mind-boggling and it can be very hard to arrive at the truth.

Cheers,
          Mike.
          Last edited by Guest; 03-19-2007, 07:06 AM.

Comment

sure looks like a 1000 E model to me.

Comment

Thanks guys I'm sure is an E too, now.

Comment

Notice the fuel tank.....80-81e with the emblem hole filled

Comment

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Comment

Couldn't resist an easy post.
                    That's an E model. The seat is from a C or base model.
                    And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                    Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Such an E!

Comment

You guys amaze me. :-o I spend lots of time, carefully researching these weighty matters in my tomes of learning and works of accumulated motorcycling wisdom, then craft a careful and erudite reply...

... only to be bettered by your on-the-hop knowledge of all things GS expressed in single-sentence OR WORSE single-phrase replies.

What a bunch of SHOW-OFFS!

Comment

Working...
                        X