Speedo dances up and down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speedo dances up and down

I've got a 78 gs750e and the speedo dances around the actual speed I'm traveling. Even at idle it will bounce off of 0 mph. Not unbearable until around 55mph then its bouncing by about a 10 mph gap. Any ideas on what to check or most likely replace. I already unhooked the line and reattached it at the top and it seemed to help a little bit.

Originally posted by andrewclaycomb View Post
    I've got a 78 gs750e and the speedo dances around the actual speed I'm traveling. Even at idle it will bounce off of 0 mph. Not unbearable until around 55mph then its bouncing by about a 10 mph gap. Any ideas on what to check or most likely replace. I already unhooked the line and reattached it at the top and it seemed to help a little bit.
    Start with a lube job on her.

Comment

Spray some chain wax in there.
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Any grinding noises? I third the lube advice. That's classic sticky cable behavior.

Comment

Originally posted by UncleMike View Post
          Start with a lube job on her.
          Is it just me, or does anyone else catch the double meaning here...leave it to you mike! :-D

Comment

Buy a new one.She's getting ready to break!

Comment

Originally posted by tconroy View Post
              Buy a new one.She's getting ready to break!
              No comment..........no comment! :-D It must be the weather. \\/

Comment

Lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Once it twirls around and pop's your done!

Comment

Originally posted by tconroy View Post
                  Lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Once it twirls around and pop's your done!

LMAO...LMAO....................................NA. ......................LOL........YEAH!

Comment

It usually happens when you get going fast!

Comment

If not the cable lube the speedo itself...

in between the part that spins with the cable and the part the cable threads onto.
                      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave8338 View Post
                        Is it just me, or does anyone else catch the double meaning here...leave it to you mike! :-D
                        It's what I love about English,...the subtleties available.

Comment

Working...
                        X