Battery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Battery

I need to replace batteries on both my 650 and 850. Is anyone one brand better than the other? Recommendations of what or what not to purchase?

I buy Diehard batterys from sears.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I can't find my records right now , but I went to Batteries Plus and got a sealed battery to fit.
      I seem to remember that it cost about $50.

Many people mistakenly call these "gel-cell" batteries, but they are sealed, absorbed glass mat (AGM) batteries.
      More cranking power, no need to EVER check the water level \\/
      and no vent hose to come loose and drip corrosive fluid on your chassis. 8-[

Whatever battery you get, be sure to charge it COMPLETELY before using it, even though they will tell you that it is charged and ready to go. If the first thing you do is subject it to a heavy discharge (starting the bike), you might never get past about 80-85% of its ultimate capacity. Granted, that 80-85% is better than most "wet" batteries (DieHard, Yuasa, etc.), but why not get all you can for your money? 8-)

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

What Steve said.

Comment

WestCo makes a good AGM battery. I've used one in a BMW for several years. The price is higher than the typical liquid battery. The benefits for AMG are listed above in Steve's post. WestCo has free shipping which helps a little.

rickt

Comment

Ditto the 3 Previous Posts, Sealed Glass Mat Batteries are Worth the Few Extra $$. I got Mine for the 850 Delivered for about $60. She Usually Starts before I can get My Finger Off the Start Button.:-D
            sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
            2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Originally posted by rickt View Post
              WestCo makes a good AGM battery. I've used one in a BMW for several years. The price is higher than the typical liquid battery. The benefits for AMG are listed above in Steve's post. WestCo has free shipping which helps a little.

rickt
              This is where I got my AGM battery. I wouldn't bother with anything else but a good AGM battery on my GK. http://www.motorcyclebatteriesusa.com/

Decent price and quick delivery from this place. No nonsense.

Comment

I dont use anything but sealed glass mat batteries in my bikes.
                Online here

Just select your bike model and the right battery will pop up.

Earl
                Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Working...
                X