Forward controls........gs650

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Forward controls........gs650

I noticed the other day that there are bolt holes in my frame that look like mounting brackets for forward controls. Does anyone know where i can get a set that fit, or is there another model that came with them that used the same frame.........And please spare me the "They aren't that kin dof bike crap, i've heard it!
    Thanks

Bubba,
    My GF has a 1981 GS650GL and always bugs me about wanting to move her feet forward. However those bolt holes in the frame are for engine guards, not forward controls. I am a design engineer and have promised her that I would try to work up a design to move the controls forward and then have a friend fab them in his shop. I just haven't had the time. I'd like to know if anyone has tried this on any GS.

Comment

Hello Folks,
      Any updates on the forward control issue? I am desperately looking for a way to scoot up the controls on my GS650G. I have searched the forum, and have not found any info or reference to any source of info on this type of modification on any GS model Suzuki.

Hopefully someone out there has had some success and can pass on his great wisdom..
      Safe riding!
      Tom

Comment

I'll give this thread a bump.
        I would really love to have some forward controles.I don't really see how you could mount them and still have any comfort though.I have the engine gaurds on mine and mounted a set of clip-on highway bars to them.It's awfull!

Comment

What don't you like about the clip on highway bars?

Comment

Originally posted by knelson
            What don't you like about the clip on highway bars?
            They have to go too high up on the engine gaurd.Looks like i'm doing the "Flying Butt Pliers"Down the road.lol!
            With my knees way up in the air.

Comment

I installed highway pegs on the GFs bike and I have ridden it and feel the same way. They are too high and too far forward. I plan on going to my friend's shop and fabricating new mounts so that they can be attached behind the downtubes in front of the engine and lowered a little. If I had the time I would get on the computer and design some forward controls with AutoCAD.
              Actually, I want to get her a new bike in a year or so, she really likes the Volusia but I know she will hate giving up the GS.

Comment

If you look in the Gallery here at the GS site, in the 1977 models, there is a custom pink Suzuki... looks sharp, and it has forward controls, it seems to be the only one I can find, but THAT is what I am after, if you can get ahold of the owner let me know.. I HATE being scrunched up and there's no way I will ever talk my wife into letting me get another bike.. so that is not an option.. (4 kids) anyway..
                Lets NOT let this die out again, we need to come up with something... and I use AUTOCAD as well I have it opened up here at work as Im typing this.. been using it for about 10 years and can draw anything.. Unfortunately Im not too experienced in what goes into forward controls.
                KEEP LOOKING!
                and safe riding
                Tom

Comment

I've never even seen a set of forward controles in person.hehe.I have no help to offer.I do have lots of encouragement though!

Comment

Just thought I'd mention that if you have a junkyard close you may be able to rig up a set like I did for a KZ440 Kawasaki.

A friend had the bike and he was pretty cramped due to the seat to peg distance.

We found a set of forward controls off of an old triumph. We then found a shift linkage off of a Honda that would fit the Kawasaki shifter shaft and adapt it to the control linkage. I can't remember what we got the break linkage off of but we found on that was close to what we needed. We had to fabricate a mounting plate. The plate was easy we just cut out a piece to 1/4" aluminum drilled holes to pick up a mounting hole on the frame and a U-bolt above it and then forward of these we notched the plate and drilled three holes for the old forward control backing plate to mount too.

We had to tweak the linkage a little and after that it worked find for a couple of years until Bob sold the bike after he got a KZ750. It was actually pretty easy to do for shift linkage Honda had several models that used a shift linkage to move the shifter forwards, an example is the TLR200 Reflex so finding one to fit a given application isn't that had. The brake was the harder piece to find but there are a few bikes out there that have a rear brake linkage.

If you could find a set of forward controls at a junkyard off of a Suzuki then that should give you a good starting place but you could also go with some off of an old Honda. I know that I have see a lot of forward control set ups on old Honda 750's that might be easily adaptable.

Mike

Comment

Working...
                    X