Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone used this Harbor Fright Tire machine???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone used this Harbor Fright Tire machine???

Got to do four bike tires this week, it will pay for itself as compared to paying someone $30 per wheel.
    Anyone used it?
    Does it work?
    Thanks,
    Tom
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

I've got a friend that bought one. he let me use it for my dragslick last summer. Worked on the slick like a charm.

Comment

The reviews I've seen are that the Harbor Freight unit is pretty disappointing -- it doesn't save enough effort and is not worth it. Plus, it has to be bolted to a concrete slab, so you have to let it take up space all year or invest in removable anchors.

Here's the standard text on the subject of motorcycle tire changing. I use this method myself, and the small amount of effort is well worth the hundred bucks or so I save with every set:

I don't like the brute force methods of breaking the bead shown. I simply use two large wooden clamps. Gradual, easy, and no chance of gouging, bending, or breaking anything.

Also, seating the bead on narrower GS tires is a lot easier than it must be for the wider radials. I've only needed to use a strap on one tire.

Here's what I'd love to have -- only $600...

And here's my set of crazily accurate balancing stands:

Just stick the axle back in the wheel and plop it on the high-quality skate bearings. Spin gently and wait, wait, wait, wait, wait and wait some more (very low friction).
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Wooden clamps like the ones in a high school woodshop?

Originally posted by bwringer View Post

I don't like the brute force methods of breaking the bead shown. I simply use two large wooden clamps. Gradual, easy, and no chance of gouging, bending, or breaking anything.
        That sounds a lot easier.

Comment

The Harbor Freight tire machine can be used without bolting it to the floor, although it will be more secure when bolted. It can also be used with a plywood base or 2 x 4 extensions without floor bolting to maintain portability.

4Strokes.com is a dirt bike site and is not affiliated with Harbor Freight in any way. They have reviewed a number of different products, among which is the Harbor Freight Tire Changer.

I own one, and it is a very substantial machine and a good value. I have changed my own tires ever since I started riding many years ago. Breaking the bead is the easiest part of the job. I finally decided to use something that is purpose built to make the job go smoothly. I also have a variety of other tires, like riding mower, etc. that can be easily handled by this machine.

Two pieces are needed for motorcycle use, and they are on sale frequently. I got the complete two piece machine for $60.00 at a local store with sales prices and coupons. See Portable Tire Changer and Motorcycle Tire Changer Attachment.

Comment

Thanks! The machine in the photos looks different than the last HF setup I saw reviewed. Maybe they improved it since then. If you have the room, this could be a pretty nice light duty setup.

Are the surfaces that contact the wheel plastic or coated with plastic? If not, I'd be a little concerned about beating up my alloy wheels.

There's a HF about 5 minutes from my office, so I guess I could go look for myself...

Originally posted by Boondocks View Post
            The Harbor Freight tire machine can be used without bolting it to the floor, although it will be more secure when bolted. It can also be used with a plywood base or 2 x 4 extensions without floor bolting to maintain portability.

4Strokes.com is a dirt bike site and is not affiliated with Harbor Freight in any way. They have reviewed a number of different products, among which is the Harbor Freight Tire Changer.

I own one, and it is a very substantial machine and a good value. I have changed my own tires ever since I started riding many years ago. Breaking the bead is the easiest part of the job. I finally decided to use something that is purpose built to make the job go smoothly. I also have a variety of other tires, like riding mower, etc. that can be easily handled by this machine.

Two pieces are needed for motorcycle use, and they are on sale frequently. I got the complete two piece machine for $60.00 at a local store with sales prices and coupons. See Portable Tire Changer and Motorcycle Tire Changer Attachment.
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
              Thanks! The machine in the photos looks different than the last HF setup I saw reviewed. Maybe they improved it since then. If you have the room, this could be a pretty nice light duty setup.

Are the surfaces that contact the wheel plastic or coated with plastic? If not, I'd be a little concerned about beating up my alloy wheels.

There's a HF about 5 minutes from my office, so I guess I could go look for myself...
              You're welcome, Brian.

The wheel is held in place by three adjustable painted steel clamps that contact the edge of the rim. The clamps could easily be covered with a strip of scrap rubber as suggested in the review. Inner tube scraps would help prevent clamp slippage and should protect the rim.

Comment

One way you could create a more stable base that's not permanent would be to bolt or weld the unit to a class-III ball mount and slide it into an available trailer hitch during use. If you have a pickup truck you more than likely have 360 degree use of the machine, but if it's a car/minivan/suv there might be somewhat limited access with this setup.

Worth considering as an option, though...

Regards,

Comment

Ok I went and bought it....

the bead breaker part rocks.
                  Taking the tire off was hard but possible.
                  Putting the tire on was very hard, the tight spot about 2/3 of the way around needed three men to do it, probably two if it was bolted down.
                  The problem is the wheel spins in the wheel holder.
                  I finished the old fashioned way, pry bars.
                  Couldn't get the bead to seat, so took it to a tire store, he did it but it took a lot of pressure, about 80 or so...
                  Any advice on that?
                  Overall it's OK, would be good if several guys were doing their tires together.
                  For a loner it wouldn't work.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                    the bead breaker part rocks.
                    Taking the tire off was hard but possible.
                    Putting the tire on was very hard, the tight spot about 2/3 of the way around needed three men to do it, probably two if it was bolted down.
                    The problem is the wheel spins in the wheel holder.
                    I finished the old fashioned way, pry bars.
                    Couldn't get the bead to seat, so took it to a tire store, he did it but it took a lot of pressure, about 80 or so...
                    Any advice on that?
                    Overall it's OK, would be good if several guys were doing their tires together.
                    For a loner it wouldn't work.
                    You shouldn't need two men, much less three to put a tire on. You shouldn't need to use pry bars, which can damage the rim or tire. Regular tire spoons will do the job if the tire is mounted properly.

It sounds like you tried to force the tire under the rim without pushing the bead opposite of the side you are working on (already under the rim) into the center of the rim, the deepest part. A tire only has so much "give". If it is not allowed to slip into the channel in the center of the rim it will be very difficult to mount the tire without breaking something. Pushing the bead into the center channel provides more room to the opposite side being mounted, and allows the tire to go under the rim without undue forcing and stretching.

To seat the bead on a tubeless tire, tire shops use an inflatable hose that squeezes the center of the tire. This expands the beads outwards toward the rim, and allows the tire to hold air. If you don't have the inflatable hose, you can improvise something with a piece of rope, nylon strap, etc. The idea is the same. Put the rope/strap around the center of the tire and tighten it by twisting it with some type of lever. With a racheting nylon strap you may be able to apply enough force to push the bead out using the rachet alone. Removing the valve stem core allows a much greater volume of air to enter the rim, facilitating the seating of the beads. The valve stem core is replaced once the tire will hold air.

Comment

I would add that a generous amount of soapy water around all contact surfaces does wonders for the ease with which the tire comes off and goes on. A group of us Chicagolanders often do our tires together over at Joe Nardy's, and he's helped us learn from our mistakes.

I'm definitely no pro when it comes to removal and remounting (we use a home-made setup Joe built along with proper "spoons") but I've seen firsthand how much more difficult it can be when learning all the "tricks" that go into a smooth tire change. I would guestimate that if I had to do the job on my own it would take me at least five time longer than it takes Joe, who has mastered the "art."

I have no doubt that after a few more "sessions" you'll be doing it with relative ease all by yourself. Meanwhile I'm thankful for the assistance I get from Joe!

Regards,

Comment

Originally posted by Planecrazy View Post

I have no doubt that after a few more "sessions" you'll be doing it with relative ease all by yourself.
                        Relativity is relative....
                        It got easier. Tied one spoke to the frame to keep the wheel from spinning.
                        All the difference.
                        My tiny wife was able to hold the machine from spinning now, if it was bolted down it would be a one man job. Maybe.
                        The back tire went on in about ten minutes, the front had taken an hour or so.
                        Learning curve.
                        Balancing is easy too.
                        So I guess the Harbor Fright machine's rating moves up to "OK for a home
                        shop but don't change tires for a living".
                        I guess I like being able to tell the bike shops to stuff it when they want to charge $40 per wheel to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                          Relativity is relative....
                          It got easier. Tied one spoke to the frame to keep the wheel from spinning.
                          All the difference.
                          My tiny wife was able to hold the machine from spinning now, if it was bolted down it would be a one man job. Maybe.
                          The back tire went on in about ten minutes, the front had taken an hour or so.
                          Learning curve.
                          Balancing is easy too.
                          So I guess the Harbor Fright machine's rating moves up to "OK for a home
                          shop but don't change tires for a living".
                          I guess I like being able to tell the bike shops to stuff it when they want to charge $40 per wheel to do it.
                          Once you get the technique down, it will get even easier. Even so, ten minutes to mount a tire isn't so bad if it might cost you $30-$40 for a shop to do it.

Even with the front tire taking much longer due to the learning curve, you've saving yourself a bunch of money for the time spent.

Comment

Yep, the money saved on mounting four tires this week payed for the machine.
                            Not to mention saving money buying tires online.

These guys are good, free shipping if you buy two tires.
                            Will give a ride report on the new Avons in a day or two.
                            Got them on the '83, they haven't arrived yet for the '80.
                            They do look sweet on the back.
                            And I did it myself. ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by Planecrazy View Post
                              I would add that a generous amount of soapy water around all contact surfaces does wonders for the ease with which the tire comes off and goes on. A group of us Chicagolanders often do our tires together over at Joe Nardy's, and he's helped us learn from our mistakes.

I'm definitely no pro when it comes to removal and remounting (we use a home-made setup Joe built along with proper "spoons") but I've seen firsthand how much more difficult it can be when learning all the "tricks" that go into a smooth tire change. I would guestimate that if I had to do the job on my own it would take me at least five time longer than it takes Joe, who has mastered the "art."

I have no doubt that after a few more "sessions" you'll be doing it with relative ease all by yourself. Meanwhile I'm thankful for the assistance I get from Joe!

Regards,
                              Steve,

Thanks for the compliments. I have changed a lot of tires and helped a lot of others using home made tools. There is definitely an art to it and some tires just seem to cooperate more than others. I'd say if all goes well I could change two tires and balance them in a half hour or less. That doesn't include time removing and re-installing on the bike. If anyone around Chicago would like to learn how to do their own I'd gladly help......just bring a twelve-pack of Labatt Blue, Leinenkugel Honey Weiss, Molson Canadien.........etc.

Thanks,
                              Joe
                              IBA# 24077
                              '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
                              '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
                              '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

Working...
                              X