Ill bet I have asked this one before.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ill bet I have asked this one before.

I am finally ready to paint the exhust on my xs 650 street tracker.

I have a 2 into one megaphone exhayst system. It never seems to have had chrome on it. It is just sort of lightly rusted metal with no sign of any paint ever having been there. Dave from Hotwing told me that the exhaust was originally black. I would like to paint it black again. Is bar B que paint what i should use or what else can someond recomend? My funds are normal not unlimited.

Re: Ill bet I have asked this one before.

Originally posted by slopoke

I have a 2 into one megaphone exhayst system. It never seems to have had chrome on it. It is just sort of lightly rusted metal with no sign of any paint ever having been there. Dave from Hotwing told me that the exhaust was originally black. I would like to paint it black again. Is bar B que paint what i should use or what else can someond recomend? My funds are normal not unlimited.
    Go to Auto Zone and get the VHT header paint. VHT is the brand name I believe. It can't be more than $7.95 a can and it holds up well. They make a VHT paint that does not hold up well (I believe it is good for only 350 degrees) so make sure you get the High temp stuff - 500 degrees.

Hap

Comment

Re: Ill bet I have asked this one before.

Originally posted by Hap Call
      Originally posted by slopoke

Go to Auto Zone and get the VHT header paint. VHT is the brand name I believe. It can't be more than $7.95 a can and it holds up well. They make a VHT paint that does not hold up well (I believe it is good for only 350 degrees) so make sure you get the High temp stuff - 500 degrees.

Hap
      OK Hap
      Is that what you used on your bikes exhaust??

Comment

Auto Zone has 2 VHT heat resistant paints, I went the extra buck or two and used the high heat stuff, has ceramic in it and good for something like 1300 degrees. So far it all good and holding up great. Just make sure part is clean and grease free, good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Wasserott
          Auto Zone has 2 VHT heat resistant paints, I went the extra buck or two and used the high heat stuff, has ceramic in it and good for something like 1300 degrees. So far it all good and holding up great. Just make sure part is clean and grease free, good luck.
          I just went to auto zone and i wont spend any money where i have to be in a certain part of thr store to find a sign written in english. I'll wait till discount auto parts has the stuff back in stock. They were out when i went to them unless i wanted orange

Comment

I just went to auto zone and i wont spend any money where i have to be in a certain part of thr store to find a sign written in english ((ethnic nieghborhoods being the exception)). I'll wait till discount auto parts has the stuff back in stock. They were out when i went to them unless i wanted orange 8O
            I forgot to say thanks for the replies> :?

Comment

I attempted to paint an old chrome exhaust that was scratched and pitted with surface rust. At a local auto parts store, I found a white glossy manifold paint that was claimed to be good to 1200F-1300F.

I dressed the surface with emery cloth to remove the rust and rough the chrome for better adhesion. Looked great until I took the first ride, then started to blister, crack and peel off on all four pipes where the pipes bend down after leaving the cylinders. A couple of days later one of my float needles leaked some gas onto the freshly painted pipe which immediately peeled although the paint is also claimed to be resistant to gas.

It may be just a crappy product but I suspect that I didn't clean the metal surface well before applying the paint. I now suspect you have to clean the metal very very well before applying the paint, otherwise the severe heat causes whatever residue is on the metal to evaporate and cause blistering.

I tried it one more time but still don't have it right, because the paint still blistered and peeled, although not as quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by Junkman Frankenbiker
                I attempted to paint an old chrome exhaust that was scratched and pitted with surface rust. At a local auto parts store, I found a white glossy manifold paint that was claimed to be good to 1200F-1300F.

I dressed the surface with emery cloth to remove the rust and rough the chrome for better adhesion. Looked great until I took the first ride, then started to blister, crack and peel off on all four pipes where the pipes bend down after leaving the cylinders. A couple of days later one of my float needles leaked some gas onto the freshly painted pipe which immediately peeled although the paint is also claimed to be resistant to gas.

It may be just a crappy product but I suspect that I didn't clean the metal surface well before applying the paint. I now suspect you have to clean the metal very very well before applying the paint, otherwise the severe heat causes whatever residue is on the metal to evaporate and cause blistering.

I tried it one more time but still don't have it right, because the paint still blistered and peeled, although not as quickly.
                Old chrome is very hard to paint-i am fortunate the these pipes never had chrome

Comment

I just found a place in auburn washington (south of seattle) that says if you give them your exhaust that they will blast it and coat it with ceramic, inside and out. They had a bunch of different colors and it's rated to 2000 degrees. blasting and everything for about 100 bucks. i can find the link if you are interested, sounds like a great deal, and they had a bunch of examples to look at. and it's garanteed for 3 years

Comment

Well let's see that link Mookie.

Comment

I paint the header pipe on my dirt bike a couple of times a season. I've found the barbecue paint to actualy be the worst. Once it cures, you can rub it off with your fingers. I use Krylon semi-flat, because when it's black paint, they're all high temp.

Comment

Sorry for your trouble, but the VHT 1200 degree stuff works well. Just make sure parts are clean. I failed to mention I sandblasted my pipes in a cabinet blaster at work so the chrome was well worn for better adhesion. No problems yet, good luck.

Comment

Sorry for your trouble, but the VHT 1200 degree stuff works well. Just make sure parts are clean. I failed to mention I sandblasted my pipes in a cabinet blaster at work so the chrome was well worn for better adhesion. No problems yet, good luck.
                          I hope the VHT comes in orange green and white.

Comment

ok here it is :
                            253-735-1919 - Get unbeatable auto coating work by the professionals at Performance Coatings Inc.

Comment

Thanks for the link Mookie!!! Hey do you have any of the chat programs? msn, yahoo, aol or icq
                              Dink

Comment

Working...
                              X