noizy gearbox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

noizy gearbox

I have a gs 1100L 1983 it shift ok but the gearbox is noizy. Will it break? or can I still ride with it. Snow is melting here in Montreal and I want to be ready when it's all gone.
    Thanks in advence
    Claude

Originally posted by claude ouellet View Post
    I have a gs 1100L 1983 it shift ok but the gearbox is noizy. Will it break? or can I still ride with it. Snow is melting here in Montreal and I want to be ready when it's all gone.
    Thanks in advence
    Claude
    Of course it'll break, everything eventually does. Is the clutch fully disengaging when you shift. Does it make a clunk or a grinding noise. Lot's bike go on clunking forever. Grinders can go a long way too, but are the quicker to go. Once the shift is done does it go OK?

Comment

When you say noisy what do you mean? High pitched whine while driving, or clunking when engaging gears? This may help to identify what's going on.

My GS(X)1100ES had a very noisy 5th gear. When engaged and driving it whined like mad so much so that the noise drowned out the sound of the exhaust. When you shut the throttle the noise died away. Each gear selected OK. Turned out to be a failed 5th drive and idler gear. (Plus others...)

I could have carried on riding it and it wouldn't have gone bang, just got noisier. The gears had got small indents in the mating surface of the teeth on each of the gogs causing the noise. I understand from the local Suzuki dealer this was a common thing on early GS(X)'s with 5th and 2nd being the main problem gear's.

Suzuki mad
      1981 GS1000ET
      1983 GS(X)1100ESD
      2002 GSF1200 K1

Comment

Behind Box # 2

An 1100L is like an 1100G in that it has a "transfer case" between the transmission and the driveshaft. This small case has its own lubricant, and does not run the engine oil. Make SURE that you have changed the grease in this box. It has a drain plug and a fill plug, I think they are hiding under the decorative cover behind the shifter.

Another thing is to be SURE you are using the correct lube in this gearbox. I would not take chances, either find the specification in your owners manual or go Suzuki and buy it from them. Seems I remember it to be the same as the rear differential, but check for yourself.

It would also be a GREAT idea to change the lube in the rear differential at the same time. That lube gets contaminated just like the others on your bike.

Good Luck, Bruce

Comment

noisy gearbox

Thanks everyone

I can ear the grinding on every gears, but it shifts good and runs good. not to big a clunck when engaging the first but it could be better ajust. yes when it is warm after a long ride the downshifting is a bit hard. last year the transmition was leaking from the seal around the drive shaft. I then realise that there was to mutch oil in it a previous owner played in it cause I saw when I opened the cover that the big nut holding the gears was bang with a screwdriver and hamer. I put the right amount of oil and the leaking stoped. Is that nut to tight ,to loose? I dont know.I gess it is a big job to open everyting and fix. Should I
          do it?

claude

Comment

From what you describe it sounds like parts of the transmission are damaged. Some will make noise forever and never break. Sometimes the smallest noise or no noise at all can precede a major failure. Suzuki transmissions are close to bullet proof, but can fail. Its up to you, fix it or take your chances. If it were mine and it didn't make noise when running, only when shifting I would shift gently and not accelerate too hard.

Comment

Working...
            X