Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

time for some new plug caps?

hi again.

woke up to a downpour this morning and found myself running on one cylinder as one of the pipes were cold. This had happened before and was told to disconnect the cap from the plug slightly and just play around until you find the revs jump.

its as if only part of the cap is transferring the voltage.

This was the second time it had happened and on both occasions the bike was wet. would you suggest dielectric grease? purchase new one? (im hoping i dont have to buy them as a set with new coils because they're fine) if i do could i just cut one off another bike and solder them on to the existing coil? dont know if this matters but it happens to only one cylinder, it doesnt jump around.

Thanks again.

vince

The spark plug caps, just screw off & on the plug wire.
    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Brand new NGK caps will only cost about $4~5 US each. Cheap enough to do every 4~5 years.

Comment

thanks for the quick responses. I like that price, i think new ones will be in order as mine are originals from 82. Concerning those NGKs could i go to an auto parts store or a motorcycle shop? Are the caps rated at all? perhaps for resistance?

thanks guys.

Comment

Plug caps

I checked several local auto parts dealers (NAPA, Murray's, etc) and none had NGK caps. The local Suzuki dealer had the NGK caps in several shapes and was able to match my original caps very closely. Cost was nominal, about $4 each.
          DickV

Comment

Yeah, your local name brand bike shop should have them or can get them. I really didn't try any auto parts store. I got mine from the Dennis Kirk catalogue. They are a resistor type cap, I don't remember what the impedance is though. I don't think it's mentioned on the box but, it's nothing to worry about. They only come in the one specification.
            Last edited by Guest; 03-23-2007, 12:49 PM.

Comment

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but I have a related question. I have a 1981 GS550T. I was on Z1 Enterprises website and there are all different sizes of NGK caps. How do you know which ones to get? Also, there is different size plug wires available [7 and 8].

Comment

Also your plug wires might be arcing off each other. On a dry dark night start the bike and mist some water on the plug wires. If you see a light show it's time to replace the wires.
                1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuckster View Post
                  Don't mean to hijack the thread, but I have a related question. I have a 1981 GS550T. I was on Z1 Enterprises website and there are all different sizes of NGK caps. How do you know which ones to get? Also, there is different size plug wires available [7 and 8].
                  Call them up and ask them. They are very helpful and have a list of which caps go to which cylinders on every bike. Got mine there; they are great.

Comment

For all of the I 4s
                    2 NGK VB05F
                    2 NGK XB05F

Comment

I pretty much know the conclusion is- YES, replace them....But..

I just wanted to know what it means to performance, and why it happens that I get some nasty voltage flowing through my (leather gloved!)hands when I fiddle with my plug caps.

Nothing was wet and they dont look damaged in any way.

Chris
                      82 850G

Comment

Working...
                      X