Stripped fairing screw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stripped fairing screw

Alright, I need to remove my fairing on the 1150ef in order to fix the headlight mount, and to reattach my speedo/odo cable (it came off at the end of last season) -- unfortunately, one screw on the fairing has it's head stripped. I'm just wondering what's the best way of removing it?

I would like to be able to do it without using any substance that would wreck the paint or plastic on the fairing.

Cheers,

Satchmo

One way is to drill it out. Use a Spring Loaded Center Punch to make an indentation in the exact center of the stripped screw. Use a Left Hand Drill Bit to make a channel in the screw. You will need a reversing drill to use the left hand drill bit. Frequently, it will unscrew the screw by itself without the need for a screw extractor. You can use a Screw Extractor if required.

Comment

Many people have had nightmares with screw extractors, because if they break you'll never be able to drill them out -- they're VERY hard ... so if you go this route be VERY VERY careful!

My preference, if you have enough good screw head left, is to use a dremel and cutting wheel (fiberglass cutting wheel preferred to eliminate shattering) to create a slot you can put a flat bladed bit into ... then use an impact screwdriver to "break free" the screw and remove it (this will help to prevent re-stripping the screw versus just using a screwdriver).

I would also use a good penetrating oil like PB Blaster on the screw at least several hours before you try to remove it. You'll have to check the can, but I THINK it's safe on your fairing paint.

As a last resort you could drill it out, but I'd save that step until after you've tried the above options...

Good luck, Buddy!!

Comment

Ditto what Steve said. I've never gotten a screw out without losing at least one extractor.
        JP
        1982 GS1100EZ (awaiting resurrection)
        1992 Concours
        2001 GS500 (Dad's old bike)
        2007 FJR

Comment

I have had the best of luck with this:arrow: http://www.aldn.com/grabit/
          And the other good news is, you can still get the fairing screws thru Bike Bandit.
          I just did for my 1150 fairing\\/
          Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
          2000 Kawasaki Concours
          Please wear ATGATT

Comment

This is what I have...

They work good, From Craftsman. See link here

Comment

Thanks guys -- I'm going to try some PB blaster and an impact driver and see where I get.

Comment

Working...
              X