Cam Cover - HELP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Norseman,
    The post ptm had is correct in that two camshaft covers were used for this model. I own two 81 650g which differ by only a month of manufacture that use different covers. Not sure about gl but would think it is the same way.
    The difference in the two is later revision has a bolt at the cam chain tunnel area. I believe it is at the front of the motor.
    Before I would go that as far as getting a replacement, I would gently try to rock the cover up and down to see if you could not free the rest of the cover. Mine was cemented down by the previous owner with blue rtv on the gasket, yet would move a little on the one side like yours. Go slow and don't be afraid to apply some torque to the cover by hand.
    I also ran into cam cover bolts breaking. I would save yourself the frustration of reassembly only to break more by replacing all of these bolts. Good luck.

Comment

Rethinking...

Thanks, Guys. Jethro, you obviously are correct, and given me pause for thought. Pulling head to clean is not something I want to get into, and there's no way to avoid that using a cut-off, and thus opening another whole can-of-worms.

And yes, waterman, your temperance is well put. I will take a deep breath, garner some endurance and patience, and just keep at it with gentle heat and wooden mallet and just keep shimming where I can and slowly break the corrosion. I am going to use Real gasket when done with the job, get new stainless steel bolts and USE ANTI-SIEZE.

Thanks again for taking time to provide counsel. This to I will overcome...

Norseman

Comment

Conclusion

Just thought I'd wrap this thread up with the outcome. Robert (Barr), you were right on, the bolt that snapped at the head was the culprit. I finally worked the cover up enough I got some clearance between base and cover flange at the bolt location to slip a fine-tooth hacksaw blade without touching the aluminum. (Very carefully) I sawed through the bolt, and voila, the cover is off. One good turn-of-luck was the bolt thread portion in the base was quite loose after all the work, and I could simply turn that part out. The shank was still frozen in the cover, but with solid support underneath, I was able to drive it out - it is in unbelievably corroded condition! Luckily, the guideposts gave up the fight, which allowed me the clearance necessary to cut the bolt. Otherwise, Robert, I would have had to do exactly what you said - break the cover.

No damage to base or cover flanges, no warpage, and now I can go about the job of checking/shimming the valve clearances, fifteen man hours later:? .

Thanks to Chef, Robert, Jethro, PTM, Mike_H, DeadMonkey, Doug, and Waterman. You guys are great, and thanks for the help!!!

Norseman

Comment

Working...
        X