X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Serious Chain Info

ok, I need serious tech info people. so first off, thank you
    second.

2 parts to this. I need some information from the experianced and wise here (to attributes I make no claim to having) about chains. O-ring, X-ring, Standard? and all the different brands? I can research the technical differences, what I want are Onions and Opinions about their use, pros and cons on usable life, reliability, rattle, weight, ease of cleaning. also, if I'm replacing my chain, should I also replace my sprockets? I have inspected the rear and it looks to be in decent shape, certainly no teeth leaning or wearing of the tips.

part 2 of this. and here i need SOMEONE TECHNICAL (just using caps for attention sake, nothing against none techs)

What are the differences between what is sold as motorcycle chain, and ANSI Roller Chain? anyone ever used any of it?

my bike is a 1981 GS(x)400L (Lola)
    tscc
    27HP, 3.7kg*m or 26.7lbsft torq

I was cleaning the bike the other day and decided I'd wipe some of the oily dirt off the chain, and found, to my horror, some birght orange rust under it. It doesn't look that deep, but I figure, on a chain, I'm better safe than sorry. I don't need that thing locking up my back wheel.

Thanks everyone!

If you can afford it, get a sealed o-ring chain. The X ring chain is basically an o-ring with a sales gimmick.

ANSI is just a manufacturing standard. Nothing for you to be concerned about.
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

BentRod there's some useful info and a good place to buy here

My bike is needing a chain as well and I was looking for what a 530 conversion was. I've seen the term here often but never was able to find the pros-cons or even exactly what it was. I'm sure it's been discussed at length here but my searches came up with little. After talking with member Ard one day hooked me up with some good info on the subject and recommended the guys at Z1.

As far as replacing the sprockets? Mixed opinions on that one here as well. For your bike, mine is if they are in good shape, leave them be until next chain change. On my bike the chain needs to be replaced due to poor (no) maintenance and the bike sitting improperly stored. The sprockets are fine.
      Last edited by Guest; 03-25-2007, 09:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BentRod View Post

I was cleaning the bike the other day and decided I'd wipe some of the oily dirt off the chain, and found, to my horror, some birght orange rust under it. It doesn't look that deep, but I figure, on a chain, I'm better safe than sorry. I don't need that thing locking up my back wheel.
        Don't replace it just because of that.
        It would take some serious rust to weaken it, and it can't lock up the wheel as you say unless it breaks, or somehow gets loose enough to come off the sprocket.
        They all do that if they run dry for a while.
        Just keep it oiled better.
        If it's not worn out, keep it.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
          Don't replace it just because of that.
          It would take some serious rust to weaken it, and it can't lock up the wheel as you say unless it breaks, or somehow gets loose enough to come off the sprocket.
          They all do that if they run dry for a while.
          Just keep it oiled better.
          If it's not worn out, keep it.

Agree. :-D A little rust on the outside surface will have no impact other than looking unsightly.

Regarding the origional question, sprockets wear along with the chain. If the chain elongates, the teeth on the sprockets will wear in response to that. So if you are replacing the chain because it's worn, it's always a good idea to replace the sprockets at the same time. Some people just throw on a new chain and not replace the sprockets. If you do this the chain will wear faster, although this is hard to quantify. If you are replacing the chain because it rusted or if it got stiff, that's another matter - sprockets are most likely okay.

There are many grades of different chains on the market as you have already noticed. The more costly chains have more features (such as o-rings, and made of higher grade of metal) thus they last longer. You need to decide where your value stream is regarding this issue. When reviewing this issue myself recently I choose an RK X-ring chain since it was reasonably priced ($65) and the O-rings mean it does not need to be lubed as often which is big to me since I hate cleaning up all that chain goo spatter.

Hope this helps.
          Last edited by Nessism; 03-25-2007, 10:38 AM.
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

thank you

sweet fellas

I'm going to take the chain off and give it a good clean, and inspect it link by link.

the bike sat for 12 years, so damage is very possible

Comment

Working...
            X