• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

keyster carb kits

have any of you tried them as im thinking of importing as set for my
    GS1000s on USA EBay I can get a set of 4 a lot cheaper than here in
    England.help would be very helpfull .

I'm not the expert... But many here would say those kits, Keyster and the K&L ones are not so great. The materials they used to make all the little parts are inferior to the original. I didn't know that and put some of the K&L kit parts in my carbs... I hope they hold up.

The most common advice around here on a carb rebuild is: to clean and re-use as much of the original stuff as possible. Get o-rings from Robert Barr. And if you need to replace something else get it from Suzuki, or from the kits.

In my case, the mechanic used all he could from the kit, and only left the originals where he couldn't easily get to it. BTW my carbs were in good shape.

Comment

Originally posted by GregM. View Post
      I'm not the expert... But many here would say those kits, Keyster and the K&L ones are not so great. The materials they used to make all the little parts are inferior to the original. I didn't know that and put some of the K&L kit parts in my carbs... I hope they hold up.

The most common advice around here on a carb rebuild is: to clean and re-use as much of the original stuff as possible. Get o-rings from Robert Barr. And if you need to replace something else get it from Suzuki, or from the kits.

In my case, the mechanic used all he could from the kit, and only left the originals where he couldn't easily get to it. BTW my carbs were in good shape.
      That's my understanding as well. If you get float gaskets and o-rings you're usually much better off leaving the stock parts in.

Comment

I've used the K&L float needle, seats, idle adjustment screw and gaskets many times and have never had a problem with them. I do not use the kits jets though. I only use Mikuni or Dynojet jets.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
          I've used the K&L float needle, seats, idle adjustment screw and gaskets many times and have never had a problem with them. I do not use the kits jets though. I only use Mikuni or Dynojet jets.
          Yeah Thanks Mark and Chef... So what is it exactly that is inferior about these kit parts? Or at least the "jets". Why would you only use the stock or Mikuni or Dynojet "jets"?

Comment

If I were you, I would look for a spare set of carbs. I bought some off EBAY, listed as parts only, for like 30 bucks. 30 bucks will only buy two rebuild kits, so I thought it was a good deal, and I got good replacement parts. Granted, I got lucky, the seller thought the carbs were in worse shape than they were, and I have to complete sets now, that would probably run a bike.

BTW, I decided to go this route after using a keyster rebuild kit on one carb. That cylinder never really ran the same as the others last year, but I cannot definately say it was the rebuild kit, but I have my suspicions.

Comment

carbs

keep it short and sweet sripped out carb bowl tonight took float
              out the little needle valve number 4 carb stuck in causing petrol
              to poor out of bowl using some carb spray its up running again.
              so need to waste money on new carb bits thank you for your imfo

Comment

Working...
              X