Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

actuating brake light via front brake lever....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

actuating brake light via front brake lever....

Well, I tore my carbs down, cleaned them up, assembled and reinstalled, and I believe that took care of my lean #2, rough idle, and rich mixture. All pipes feel evenly warm, the idle's better (not perfect, but not too bad), and it sure doesn't stink quite so bad. :P (This is a '77 GS750, btw)

Now I'm looking at replacing chain and sprockets, as the chain's pretty rusty, reassembling the front calipers and bleeding the brakes and I'll be close to being road ready for the spring. If it ever comes, that is. One of my remaining problems to tackle is to get the brake light to come on when I pull the front brake lever. As it is right now, it does nothing. I don't see any sort of a switch anywhere near the master cylinder on the bars, nor any stray wires coming from that vicinity. The wires from the kill switch are there, but unless the wiring for the nonexistent stop switch is contained in that loom, I don't see it. I need to look at my wiring diagram again, but as far as I remember there was a "front stop switch" referenced in the diagram. I was curious if anyone could give a description of the front stop switch, where it's located, where the wiring runs, etc. My assumption, having not gotten too deep into the investigation of this issue, is that I'm going to have to install some sort of pressure switch between the bar clamp for the twist grip/kill switch assy and the brake lever, and wire that into the system. Any ideas and/or thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,

Ryan
    --------------
    mueller@xta.com

This is where the front brake light switch is located. Perhaps it's missing on your bike. You can still get replacements. Costs would be about 12 $.

If the switch is still there, be careful if you want to remove and repair it.
    There are very small parts inside, that can easily be lost.

Comment

I just got a used lever and found so much goop in the switch it wouldn't work. I took some cleaner and some sandpaper to the corroded areas. YES DO BE CAREFUL. There is this LITTLE spring that pushes up the contact on the lever that loves to jump out and get lost. It defintely doesn't help that its upsidedown....

Comment

As an addendum to the previous posts:

The switch is actually on the bottom of your brake lever mounting bracket. The wire should be visible there. If yours is missing there will be a rectangular hole under there with a screw hole on either end. I have a spare and would gladly send it to you but it is somewhere on my lawn under 6" of snow. If yours is still there be very very very (did I say VERY?) careful when you take it off or you will have a spare one somewhere in your yard also. These switches are famous for gumming up and not working.

Comment

Cool finally an oportunity to tell you about my mod to the front brake light switch ( the bane of my existance)
          I have had my 1150 for 4 years and have replaced my front brake light switch 5 times 8O it would then work again for a few months.
          I found this rather annoying :twisted: so I replaced the banjo bolt at the master cylinder of my bike with one that incorporates a switch. it has operated perfactly ever since.
          Now of cause everyone will want to know where I got the parts from, so it was fromwww.goodridge.netI found that my 1150 had an M10x1.0 banjo bolt which surprised them as most Jap bikes run M10x1.5 so be sure to check the bolt pitch before ordering.
          Dink

Comment

i put a mastercylinder from a 97 katana with the new style switch

Comment

Yes, as advised, be very careful when you remove the plate over the switch. Those little parts just run all over the place. Just replaced my GFs switch (on her bike that is LOL) this past summer after I opened it and all these little parts came flying out. The whole thing was worn and fell apart so it wasn't actuating all the time. After she bitched at me for screwing up her bike, I got 2 new ones at the dealer. The assembly looks pretty cheesey so I thought I would keep a spare on hand.

Comment

I have just disabled my clutch lever safety switch. There is a pair of connectors in the head assembly that you could just loop together. Then transfer the parts to your hand brake lever. I would offer you mine, but I want to keep as spare parts incase the brake lever switch give me grief.

Comment

My front brake light switch is either:

A: somewhere on my garage floor

B: somewhere on the top of the engine

C: laughing with all those other brake light switches in sunny Mexico ...sipping a pina calada the bastards!!!!!

thanks for the idea Dink, and hey thanks for the diagrams JoJo , you should conduct lectures on the GS site

cheers Katana

Comment

Working...
                  X