Leaky fork seals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leaky fork seals

I have new fork seals on order and plan on having the shop install them when they get here.

My question is whether it will be safe to ride the bike to the shop or do I have to worry about the front suspension doing something funky?

Originally posted by Lil_Red View Post
    I have new fork seals on order and plan on having the shop install them when they get here.

My question is whether it will be safe to ride the bike to the shop or do I have to worry about the front suspension doing something funky?
    As long as you ride slowly and don't carve any corners, you should be OK. The oil in the forks is used for damping the spring action. If the oil is low, it might cause the forks to be "bouncier" with diminished damping action. If the oil level between the forks is out of balance (as it likely is), this will also affect handling. The difference in handling won't be so drastic that the bike can't be carefully ridden to the shop for replacement of the fork seals.

Comment

Right. Take it easy and you'll be fine.

Comment

Or better yet, do it yourself and learn what's inside.
        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
          Or better yet, do it yourself and learn what's inside.
          Agreed, it's not too difficult, and as good a place to start as any.

Regardless, an easy ride with leaky seals isn't too bad, as long as the forks aren't empty. Heck, I'm sure there are lots of these bikes being ridden regularly with leaky seals.

Comment

Thanks for confirming that slow and easy will do it.

Comment

Originally posted by emjay View Post
              Agreed, it's not too difficult, and as good a place to start as any.

Regardless, an easy ride with leaky seals isn't too bad, as long as the forks aren't empty. Heck, I'm sure there are lots of these bikes being ridden regularly with leaky seals.
              I would but my friend who used to help me with things like this is in Japan with his tools. I'd do the work and he'd help when I got stuck or needed some muscle .

Out of curiosity, if the forks were completely empty would the front end seize up?

Comment

Originally posted by Lil_Red View Post
                I would but my friend who used to help me with things like this is in Japan with his tools. I'd do the work and he'd help when I got stuck or needed some muscle .

Out of curiosity, if the forks were completely empty would the front end seize up?
                It's extremely unlikely, especially on a short trip to a shop for repairs. There is usually anti-friction material in the forks, and there is residual oil even with a leak. I've never heard of a seized fork caused by a leaking fork seal. In the unlikely event you find the fork action to be unusually stiff, stay away from bumps on the way to the shop (which would be a good idea anyway).

Comment

I normally try to avoid the worst bumps . I can't wait until the new seals are in and I can start riding again .

Comment

Working...
                  X