Cylinder Head Gasket $$$

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cylinder Head Gasket $$$

This is more of a sanity check than anything else, but I have one particularly stubborn broken-off bolt piece that has only about 4mm left above the cylinder head flange after I finally removed the cam cover. I'll keep working at it with PB, heat, and mallet and vice grips, but if not successful, I was contemplating removing the head to take it to a machine shop.

That is, I was contemplating this until I checked the microfische for cylinder head gasket. The list price was $80 :shock: . Is the gasket really that expensive? Any suggestions?

Norseman

I got a brand-new NOS head gasket on eBay for $20. It's the luck of the draw.

Comment

The NOS gaskets are expensive. You may be better off buying a full
      set of OEM gaskets and seals. I believe Vesra (sp?) is better brand for these sets.

I bought a new set of gaskets and seals for the 550 for about what the NOS
      head gaskets alone cost. The set came with a head gasket, a base gasket, and all the oil seals you will need for a top end/cylinder overhaul. Also included where the side cover gaskets, oil pan, exhaust gaskets and a few others. I had to take off the top end to fix a stripped spark plug but while I was in there I replaced all the gaskets a seals. It fixed a couple of minor leaks around the base so I was happy.

They didn't include anything having to do with the carbs, intakes, tach sender and cam chain tensioner. Those you have to buy NOS or separately.

The set I picked up was on ebay but you can probably find them on CRC II or maybe Z1 Enterprizes.

Comment

The sad thing is that $80 is the discounted price!

Hap

Comment

I'm currently replacing the head gasket on my 750. It was cheaper for me to buy a complete gasket set than to buy a head gasket and valve cover gasket. And since I have the parts, I replaced the valve stem seals while the head was off.
          JP
          1982 GS1100EZ (awaiting resurrection)
          1992 Concours
          2001 GS500 (Dad's old bike)
          2007 FJR

Comment

You can get the complete Vesrah engine gasket set from Z1Enterprises for about that price.

Comment

Noresman,

I am singing the same tune over here in western Michigan.

Singing? Crying?
              http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
              Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
              GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

Working...
              X