Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help identifying a part

Hey all-

A friend of mine is helping me clean and rebuild my carbs. So far we're about halfway there (we were side-tracked by beer). It's coming along well (http://img49.imageshack.us/my.php?im...lfcleanjd6.jpg), but I need to order a couple more parts and am having a tough time figuring out what one of 'em is.

The next picture shows the pre-cleaned parts, and I got all of them except the one marked with '???':

I tried looking it up on the parts diagram and the Clymer guide, but it doesn't seem to be listed anywhere (http://img400.imageshack.us/my.php?i...diagramkc7.gif). It's not covered by the float bowl when it's reattached and remains accessible. Here's a closer look:

I could probably clean it and might only have to replace the o-ring, but I want to know which one to get. If the part is cheap enough, I'd just get one fresh.

As always, any assistance you can provide to identify would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Scott
    Last edited by Guest; 03-26-2007, 12:08 PM.

Looks like a pilot fuel screw. Used to adjust the low speed fuel mixture.

Comment

My money is on pilot fuel screw also.

Comment

chiphead is right, it's the pilot screw (sometimes called pilot fuel screw). If you go to the Carb Rebuild on this site, there are lots of pictures of this screw (with a terminology problem).

The pictures of the pilot screw are misnamed "air screw". It meters fuel, not air, so just substitute the correct name and you'll have lots of pictures and information.

Comment

Originally posted by Boondocks View Post
          chiphead is right, it's the pilot screw (sometimes called pilot fuel screw). If you go to the Carb Rebuild on this site, there are lots of pictures of this screw (with a terminology problem).

The pictures of the pilot screw are misnamed "air screw". It meters fuel, not air, so just substitute the correct name and you'll have lots of pictures and information.
          Thanks all-

My problem is that I am new to doing the repairs myself and confuse part names. The fact that this screw is called so many different things depending on the source only exacerbated the frustration I had when trying to search for the right part.

This morning, I found Robert Barr's website (http://www.cycleorings.com/VMkit.html). Scrolling down the page, the most interesting thing I noted was his description of 'Part B': Part 'B' is the worst nightmare, for most folks, since the dealerships don't even have part numbers for these. They fit the mysterious 'emissions mixture screw' which doesn't even show up on factory exploded diagrams.

This was EXACTLY what I was looking for....both in terms of information and the o-ring availability. I thought I was nuts not being able to find the part on any of the diagrams. Well, I guess I'm still nuts, but not for this...

Thanks again for the comments.

Comment

Working...
          X