Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where does this hose go on my right carb.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where does this hose go on my right carb.

I removed the carbs from my 82 GS300L to clean them out. Now, for the life of me, I can't remember where the hose on the right carb goes. It's the hose on the outside of the right carb that is located near the top. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Dustyn

Sorry, I don't have a GS300, but I would suggest that if it isn't the vacuum line that goes to the fuel petcock, it may just be a carb float bowl vent hose that does not attach to anything. If it looks like the loose end of the hose has not been stretched to go over a nipple, that is probably what it is for.

Comment

Maybe so Junkman. Anybody else have any ideas?

Dustyn

Comment

It has to be one of the two. If it's the vacuum for petcock,start the engine and you should feel some vacuum. If you can't tell for sure with your finger,then try your tongue.(no kinky jokes!) Also,if it's the vacuum it will run out of gas shortly. Otherwise it's the float bowl vent. KK.
        And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
        Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Well, it is definately a vacuum line. I have a total of three lines. One big one and two smaller ones. The right cylinder is not getting gas, but the right carb. bowl has gas in it. The line must go somewhere.

Dustyn

Comment

Originally posted by Dustyn19
            Well, it is definately a vacuum line. I have a total of three lines. One big one and two smaller ones. The right cylinder is not getting gas, but the right carb. bowl has gas in it. The line must go somewhere.

Dustyn
            You say it's a vacuum line,so it HAS to go to the petcock. KK.
            And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
            Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

I only have two fittings on the petcock; one big, one small. Should I use a T fitting and run both smaller lines to the petcock?

Dustyn

Comment

Originally posted by Dustyn19
                I only have two fittings on the petcock; one big, one small. Should I use a T fitting and run both smaller lines to the petcock?

Dustyn
                Any bike I've ever seen has only 1 vacuum line,it would go to the smaller fitting on the petcock. Then the larger fitting is for your fuel line, it should go to the 'T' fitting that feeds both carbs. The only other lines anywhere is the carb overflow lines, mounted under the float bowls. KK.

Comment

Where are the lines located? Which of the two smaller lines have vacuum when the bike is running? It is unlikely that you would have a vacuum line from each carburator. The vacuum line from the carb attaches to the small nipple on the petcock. It provides vacuum to a diaphram in the petcock. Vaccum to the diaphram opens the fuel flow through the petcock
                  so that while the engine is running your carbs are getting fuel from the tank if the petcock is turned to the ON position. The PRI position on the petcock allows fuel to bypass the diaphram in the petcock and fill the carb float bowls with the engine off (no vacuum). Your carbs have a nipple on the bottom of each float bowl to which an overflow tube attaches (they may or may not be there). They are simply drain hoses and do not attach to anything other than the bottom of the carbs. I have seen some carbs equipped with vent hoses (mounted somewhere above the carb float bowls). If they are there, they simply are vents to prevent a vacuum or pressure from building up inside the float bowls. If your bike has these hoses they do not attach to anything else, but simply tuck up under the fuel tank or over and back of the air filter box (it doesn't really matter). The hoses critical to fuel flow are the large gas hose which attaches to the large nipple on the petcock, and the single smaller hose that has vacuum when the engine is running. The vacuum hose provides vacuum which opens the petcock so that fuel can flow through the larger hose to the carbs (It's as simplle as that!). There is either a short heavy rubber hose or a short metal tube tube between the two carbs. This allows fuel supply between the carbs.

So, turn the petcock to the PRI (prime) position and wait a few seconds for the carb bowls to fill up with fuel. Now, start the engine and determine which of the smaller hoses has vacuum. The one that has vacuum attaches to the small nipple of the fuel petcock. The other is probably just a vent or overflow. If both of the small hoses have vacuum you will have to put a "T" in and attach it to the petcock. I hope that clears it up.

Sorry for the protracted explanation but, I don't know how much you know about how the fuel delivery system works.

If this isn't clear or your bike is somehow different, don't hesitate to respond.

Blaine

Comment

I have a GS1100 with 4 carbs, but anyway, there is a small hose, close to 6mm or a little bigger than a 1/4" that comes from the main carb up to the petcock. There is a larger almost 12mm or 7/16" line that supplies the fuel. Then there are 2 long breather tubes, similar in size to the petcock tube that run back under the seat along the frame rails. I will check tonight to see exactly where they are connected but from memory they might be what you are dealing with.

Comment

I think I got it figured out. I placed the vacuum hose on the petcock nipple, so now the "On" and "Res" selections function. The other small line must just be a vent, because it doesn't have a vacuum or pressure. Thanks for all of your help.

Dustyn

Comment

Working...
                      X