Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Head Skimming

Hi

I just took the head and barrels off my GS1000G as I can no longer tolerate the oil leak from the front of the base gasket. Now it's apart and I'm trying to get the remains of the head gasket away from the head I can see there is like a dimpled effect that appears to go into the metal of the head.

I decided it's probably better to have the head skimmed rather than trying to get the mess off and then spending days with wet and dry paper. So then I started thinking, if I'm having it skimmed why not take a bit more off and raise the compression a bit? Got to help performance hasn't it?

Does anyone know how far I can go and how much I can take off using the standard pistons and valves before I get pre-ignition problems, or worse still, valves hitting the pistons?

Thanks

I wouldn't go over 10:1 on the compression or your going to run into an issue fuel wise, always having to add octane booster with 92 octane or better fuel. As far as the piston to valve clearance, that is specific to each engine and that needs to be determined in relation to having the head planed. If you're going that far, what the heck, pull the pistons and have them fly cut, than you'll be good to go with whatever you decide. \\/

Comment

Originally posted by Dave8338 View Post
      I wouldn't go over 10:1 on the compression or your going to run into an issue fuel wise, always having to add octane booster with 92 octane or better fuel. As far as the piston to valve clearance, that is specific to each engine and that needs to be determined in relation to having the head planed. If you're going that far, what the heck, pull the pistons and have them fly cut, than you'll be good to go with whatever you decide. \\/
      Radical skimming of the head will reduce the effective squish area and compromise some of your cooling. You will also need to cut your valve pockets deeper into your pistons. If your pistons are similar in design to the 850's, you will be risking crown failure at 10-1 or higher. The crown thickness is minimal with the stock pistons.
      A clean up of 0.005in -0 .010in off your head will not cause valve clearance issues, provided you keep the cams stock and retain the stock head gasket.
      :) The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold
      GS 850GT JE 1023 11-1 pistons. Sold
      GS1150ES3 stock, V&H 4-1. Sold
      GS1100GD, future resto project. Sold

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000001.jpg
      http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000581.jpg

Comment

Can we have a pic?
        If you get the head machined you'll have to get slotted cam sprockets and degree in your cams.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

You will have to degree the cams also. I WOULD NOT take any more off than needed to clean it up

Comment

Ok forgive me if I'm missing the point, but why would I need to change the valve timing if I skim the head? I can see that I might need to retard the ignition but not the valve timing ??

Comment

You are not exactly changing the valve timing, you are bringing it back to the correct settings. When you mill (skim) the head, it changes the relationship between the chain and the gears on the cams (the gears are now closer to the crankshaft). When you elongate the slots in the gears on the cams, it allows you to bring the cam timing back to the correct settings. This is called degreeing the cams.
              Obviously, you can do as you wish. However, were it my bike, I would take a large piece of glass, put some valve lapping compound on it (PepBoys carries it, the package has a coarse and fine tub included), and grind the head and gasket down by hand. This would prevent any other issues from cropping up.

Comment

Originally posted by AirCooledHeaven View Post
                Hi

I just took the head and barrels off my GS1000G as I can no longer tolerate the oil leak from the front of the base gasket. Now it's apart and I'm trying to get the remains of the head gasket away from the head I can see there is like a dimpled effect that appears to go into the metal of the head.
                I think you're going too far here. If the problem is that you can't remove the old head gasket, have you tried some gasket remover to soften it up?
                1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                2007 DRz 400S
                1999 ATK 490ES
                1994 DR 350SES

Comment

I agree with 49er, in that a std 5 to 10 thou clean up skim will cause no issues.

As an engine reconditioner i do such work all the time. I have never experienced any skim related problems in "ANY" engine within such a tolerence. Often the engine makers will try to tell you skimming is not possible, and you must buy a new cylinder head! But that is bulls**t in my experience.

Within this clean up tolerence, the effect upon cam timing, is to slightly retard this. What this does is to slightly "tilt" the power curve further up the rev range.

Again within the clean up 5 to ten thou skim range, you are not going to notice any difference in general running because of this.

S Foote..

Comment

I've rebuilt two GS850 engines, and I've had to get the heads lightly machined on both to clean up the gasket mating surfaces. The original gasket becomes part of and actually damages the surface of the aluminum, and they can't be separated any other way.

Any good machine shop should have no trouble doing this. Modern car engines have very stringent requirements for finishing the cylinder head surfaces -- many need to be polished to a near mirror finish. On a GS, a surface with a little "tooth" to it will be fine.

They don't even need to get deep enough to remove every trace of the dimpled pattern -- the critical areas are the piston sealing rings and where the oil passages and o-rings are in the corners.

It also saves a lot of time and frustration to have the block finished this way, too. Since the cylinder liners are steel, they'll have to be careful about setting up the machine they use so the cutter doesn't skip or gouge where the steel and aluminum meet.
                    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
                      You are not exactly changing the valve timing, you are bringing it back to the correct settings. When you mill (skim) the head, it changes the relationship between the chain and the gears on the cams (the gears are now closer to the crankshaft). When you elongate the slots in the gears on the cams, it allows you to bring the cam timing back to the correct settings. This is called degreeing the cams.
                      Obviously, you can do as you wish. However, were it my bike, I would take a large piece of glass, put some valve lapping compound on it (PepBoys carries it, the package has a coarse and fine tub included), and grind the head and gasket down by hand. This would prevent any other issues from cropping up.
                      OK, now I got it. Thanks.

Comment

Thanks for all your input. I decided I'll just get it skimmed the minimum amount to clean up the critical gasket mating areas.

Cheers

Mark

Comment

Working...
                        X