Best way to cleanup pistons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best way to cleanup pistons

I'm getting ready to re-assemble the 1100 engine. Any tips on how (and how not to) clean up the pistons. Wire brush the top and leave the sides alone? They have approx 24K on them. Some scuffing on the skirts but you really can't "feel" the marks when you run a finger over them.

With this number of miles on them and that I really don't want to do this again (on this bike anyway) for a long time, should I maybe consider new pistons?
    The cylinders all looked good and well within standard size specs.

Thanks.

I've always used a carbuteror type of dip on mine. They clean up nice that way. Don't wire brush them. If the ring gaps don't come fully clean - use an old piston ring and carefully remove any carbon. Before assembly, I wash with a good hot water and soap solution and then apply a film of oil.

As for size - you will need to hone the cylinders prior to piston assembly to remove the glaze and allow a suface for the new rings to seat into. After honing measure the inside of the cyinder and the outside of the piston. If it falls within specs you are ok. If not, you need new pistons and a rebore.

Comment

Originally posted by Swanny
      I've always used a carbuteror type of dip on mine. They clean up nice that way. Don't wire brush them. If the ring gaps don't come fully clean - use an old piston ring and carefully remove any carbon. Before assembly, I wash with a good hot water and soap solution and then apply a film of oil.

As for size - you will need to hone the cylinders prior to piston assembly to remove the glaze and allow a suface for the new rings to seat into. After honing measure the inside of the cyinder and the outside of the piston. If it falls within specs you are ok. If not, you need new pistons and a rebore.
      Thanks.
      Forgot to mention the block was measured after being honed. So it should be good to go.
      I've got my pail of Berryman's leftover from rebuilding the carbs. Think that will work for the pistons?

Comment

I'm assuming it's carb cleaner? If it is then it should be ok. Carb cleaner will not harm aluminum.

Comment

Pete a stiff scrubbing brush and kereosene will also clean the pistons up very easily.Also have you considered polishing the top(crown) of the piston to reduce carbon build up in future, it is also supposed to slightly reduce piston temperature and extend the life of the piston a little.
          Dink

Comment

Working...
          X