850g seat fit 850gl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

850g seat fit 850gl

Does anyone know if an 850g seat will fit an 850gl? I'm thinking of buying a king/queen style seat for 850l, but they only list the 850g model for fitment. I know the original seats are different on the top, but is the mounting the same?

Other experts will chime in... But I'm pretty sure the frame of the "GL" is different in that area than the "G". So, my guess is that the seat pans are not interchangeable.
    Others??

Comment

I think that is Correct, Motor & Tranny are about the only parts that are interchangeable between G and GL ( Both shaft drives)
      Last edited by marvinsc; 03-27-2007, 06:13 AM.
      sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
      2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Are you looking in the JC Whitney catalog, by chance? I did that too. Their seats are made by Travelcade. JCW offers one for the 850, but not the L model. You can visit the Travelcade site directly and order straight from them.

We just put a double-bucket seat on my wife's 850L and I prefer it to the Corbin seat on my Wing. 8-[
        You can see pictures of it in the Gallery: http://www.thegsresources.com/_scrip....php?RegID=759

They call it their Easy Chair seat. The model for the 850L is XS147. Cost was about $150 or so last year. This is a foam and cover set, so you have to strip your seat down to the pan and install this kit. VERY worth it, in my book. \\/

www.saddlemen.com/olderseatsfirst.htm

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

The 850G seat pans are different than the 850GL.

But an 850G/1000G/1100G seat or even a rebuildable seat pan is sort of an in-demand but very hard-to-find part. Someone would likely be VERY happy if you wouldn't mind sharing where you found this one.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Other have said, no they are different.

And I can tell you that 80 850G seat has two hinges on one side and has latch on other side and that is perrty much what mounts the seat to the frame.
            http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
            Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
            GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
              Other have said, no they are different.

And I can tell you that 80 850G seat has two hinges on one side and has latch on other side and that is perrty much what mounts the seat to the frame.
              Yes, and the '79 and '81 "G's" are the same.

I believe the '82 and on "G" seat attaches differently, is that right? (bwinger) I think the seat kind of notches in by the tank, and then it is latched and locked at the back. Maybe others know for sure. :-D

Comment

Not sure about the '82 and up Gs, but the GLs for SURE have the 'notch up front and key release in the back' setup.

sigpic
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Yes, the 82-83 GS850G (and 1100G, not sure about the GK) has two tabs on the frame where these two fittings on the seat slide in, then a key latch at the back.

I have a sneaky suspicion that the 79-81 GS850G seat pan is much the same except for the hardware, but I've never been able to do a direct comparison.
                  1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                  2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                  2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                  Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Thanks all...especially you Steve. Thanks to that link, I have found that all the "L" models share the same pan (at least all the 80's on their fitment guide). Looks like I'll be ordering one from travelcade/saddlemens. Also, the 850G and 1000G share the same pan.

I bought a seat off of a 1000G a couple of months back because my original seat was rotten and the pan was rusting out. When I went to fit the seat, it is about two inches short, with the lock not reaching the bracket by about an inch (Mortation can relate to this, as he has the same issue). When I finally get the King/Queen seat I'll be putting this one up for sale. It's in great shape except for one tear in the vinyl where the "step" between driver and passenger is. PM me if you're interested, and I'll send those who do a picture or two of both sides.

Comment

Ditto. I had one on my 79GS850 The travecade dbl bucket seat will make you sit higher, maybe it just the width !!! so if you have short legs? IT also does NOT allow you to move around on the seat. For me I was too far forward. The stock seat is better.

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                        Yes, the 82-83 GS850G (and 1100G, not sure about the GK) has two tabs on the frame where these two fittings on the seat slide in, then a key latch at the back.

I have a sneaky suspicion that the 79-81 GS850G seat pan is much the same except for the hardware, but I've never been able to do a direct comparison.
                        The following seats are interchangeable. Not necessarily the same, but they're all built on the same pan, which attaches to the frame in the same manner, with the key latch at the back:

1982 GS850GZ
                        1982 GS1100GZ
                        1982 GS1100GKZ

1983 GS850GD
                        1983 GS1100GD
                        1983 GS1100GKD

1984 GS1100GKE

The GK seats are different from the seats on the regular 1100G, but again, they're all built upon the same exact pan.

The seats on the following are interchangeable:
                        1979 GS850GN
                        1980 GS850GT
                        1980 GS1000GT
                        1981 GS850GX
                        1981 GS1000GX

I used to have a '79 GS850 with a custom seat. I then acquired a decrepit old 1980 GS850 for $175, which needed a seat and a fuel tank. Both the tank and seat off the 79 fit the 80 perfectly. So did the side covers and rear cowl. The seat lock worked just fine too.
                        Last edited by Guest; 03-27-2007, 08:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1 View Post
                          Ditto. I had one on my 79GS850 The travecade dbl bucket seat will make you sit higher, maybe it just the width !!! so if you have short legs? IT also does NOT allow you to move around on the seat. For me I was too far forward. The stock seat is better.
                          Granted, the L will sit a bit lower, but my wife is only 5'4" and reaches the ground.
                          Not quite flat-footed, but she keeps the bike upright. \\/

sigpic
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride

Comment

Working...
                          X