Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wheel cleaner degreaser's effect on tires??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wheel cleaner degreaser's effect on tires??

Desgreaser such as Oil Eater (biodegradable) - DO they break down tire rubber or otherwise mess them up?

IF so what do you guys use to clean very greasey spoked wheels?

I don't know... but maybe it might.

Can you just saturate a rag with the stuff and wipe and clean that way? And try to keep the rag from dragging around the tires.

Comment

You make it look like a 250!!! LOL LOL.

Comment

just wash it off quickly adn you should not have a problem, I am sure if you go to the automotive dept they would sell stuff specifically for the purpose of cleaning wheels, I don't see them selling product that would be detrimental to the rubber tires

Comment

I have been known to use bike-specific chemicals like Bike-Brite or S-100.

I have also been known to use household items like Simple Green and Formula 409.

Have not encountered any problems yet.
          On the other hand, maybe that's why I only got 23,000 miles on the last set of tires on my Wing? 8-[

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

A can of Gunk Engine Brite degreaser at the spray car wash will clean those wheels and not hurt the rubber but, you'll need to rub a little tire dressing on the sidewalls to shine them up again.

Comment

wait i thought that was rule number 1. Never ever apply any rubber dressing to a motorcycle tire.

Comment

Originally posted by andrewclaycomb View Post
                wait i thought that was rule number 1. Never ever apply any rubber dressing to a motorcycle tire.
                Don't put it on the treads, just the sidewall. Use your head. Apply with a rag carefully. A lot of stuff is gonna be anti-litigation BS. If you've just shined the sidewalls don't ride in the rain, or take it easy till it runs off.

Comment

Careful using the many magwheel cleaners available. Its acid. Read the fine print. Most say not for MC wheels. I stick to mostly Bio degradeable stuff. My storm drains go right into the lake.
                  82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

If you haven't used it, try Honda Brite. It goes on with a nice scent, and washes off clean and won't harm the wheels in the least. Truly one of the best cleaning chemicals I've used.

Comment

Originally posted by Serious Tim View Post
                      If you haven't used it, try Honda Brite. It goes on with a nice scent, and washes off clean and won't harm the wheels in the least. Truly one of the best cleaning chemicals I've used.

HondaBright is also called S-100. If you look on the bottle it will say from the makers of S-100 or something like that.
                      Last edited by Guest; 03-28-2007, 08:27 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X