overflow tube leaking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

overflow tube leaking

I did a thorough search and didn't see anyone post about this yet.
    But the bike last night started leaking through the overflow tube that is under the gas sending unit on the inside. I'm stumped as to why it started. I did something brave and put in a higher octane gas. Can that be the culpurit? If so ill drain the tank.
    I have it off the bike so no worries about it leaking behind the carbs, and I threw on a on and off switch. (not switch) on and off thingy.

Help me obie wans Kanobies your my only Hope...

Try to tighten the screws on the unit or replace the gasket. Try cleaning you gas cap because the extra pressure from not venting might be why you blew the gasket out.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

aww that makes sense. what would happen if I just capped it for now and tried that? could I least least ride it for a while like that? I will order a new gasket from bikerbandit.

thanks

Comment

The fuel sending unit uses a rubber gasket I would check bolts make sure they are tight

Comment

Originally posted by Cyg View Post
          aww that makes sense. what would happen if I just capped it for now and tried that? could I least least ride it for a while like that? I will order a new gasket from bikerbandit.

thanks
          No, don't cap the overflow. The purpose of the overflow pipe is to redirect leaking gasoline away from the hot engine parts. If you cap it, gasoline will eventually flow on top of your engine.

Comment

Working...
          X