Air Screw head almost stripped

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Air Screw head almost stripped

Wanted to rebuild my carbs but the air screw on carb #3 is almost stripped. There is a little meat left but not much. How might a guy go about getting it out? I did think of buying a slightly larger screwdriver and forcing it into the slot with a gentle tap. Bad idea?

Go buy some PB blaster and spray in in there and let it sit overnight. Get a better fitting screwdriver and try to go clockwise first and then counterclockwise to extract.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Yeah, coming from a guy that broke two carb bodies trying to get stripped air screws out, they can be a real bastard. (I broke them using screw extracter kits. If you decide to use them, exercise extreme caution)

Comment

What Chef said. Patience and don't apply any force. I would add that I had success with PB Blaster, let it sit overnight, use a good fitting screw driver, and applied a little heat to the outside. I mounted the offending carb in a table vice using soft wood blocks to mount. I used a propane torch on lowest posible setting. Turned clockwise 1/4 turn then counter-clockwise, and repeated gingerly until it had backed out.

One carb was stuck so bad (someone had overdosed on locktite) I ended up mounting the carb in my drill press, tapped in a center guide dimple, started with a very small bit down 3/16 and gradually opened it up to accept a hefty extractor. I then repeated the PB/wait/light heat process, and it came out without damage to carb body.

I got replacement screws from motorcycle.com, but they are expensive ($14.95 ea. with no shipping fee). Also, the replacements are brass rather than the original steel, but they come with the spring, washer, 0-ring, and plug. Hope this helps.

Norseman
        GS650GLX

Comment

Originally posted by Norseman View Post

I got replacement screws from motorcycle.com, but they are expensive ($14.95 ea. with no shipping fee). Also, the replacements are brass rather than the original steel, but they come with the spring, washer, 0-ring, and plug. Hope this helps.

Norseman
          GS650GLX
          OK thanks I was looking for a replacement air screw. Can you show me exactly where on motorcycle.com? I was unable to find anything for sale there at all. Must've missed it!
          I did find some carb kits at the oldbikebarn for $20 here. Sure it's a few dollars more but you get more stuff. It seems to have the part I need anyway. Maybe it's a waste of another $5? I dunno.

I did have the carbs apart once already and everything appears to be fine - the bike actually runs pretty good. Seems I only need to replace the rubber parts and any bad gaskets but I think the gaskets are all ok. The carbs do not leak at all after I reassembled them. So let's see if I have this correct....after I get the orings from cycleorings.com (and the new air screw from somewhere) that should be it for parts right? (assuming the gaskets are OK).

Comment

Replacement Pilot (Air) Screws

Hi, ggreenfield.

Actually I called them, and they were very helpful. I have a 1981 GS650GL with BS32 carbs. I don't have the part number, but their phone number is
            770-974-8851. I got the screws with spring, washer, o-ring and plug (which I didn't use) in three days.

All I did was give them the bike model and year, and the guy helping me looked it up. Hope this helps.

Norseman

Comment

Working...
            X