Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Petcock replacement for '80 GS1100L

1980 Suzuki GS1100L (Cruiser Model)
    My fuel petcock has no handle on it. I don't know if it's designed to be without a handle, or whether it went missing at some point before I got the bike. I've had the bike for about 6 years with occasional carb issues. When I bought it, it came with a vise grip attached to the fuel line, to keep it from overflowing the carbs. I added an in-line fuel shut-off to prevent the occasional fuel overflows. As far as I can see, the petcock works on the vacuum basis only. I had to replace the vacuum line a few years ago, because it was leaking and the bike would sometimes starve for fuel. I still occasionally get fuel starvation symptoms, so I think the vacuum system is occasionally not functioning properly. My question is, is there a strictly manual petcock that will replace mine, either original equipment or aftermarket, possibly from another model. I would like to have the manual system only, so that I am not subject to vacuum malfunctions. My research has told me that the petcock used for this model was used for only a few years, and may be somewhat unique. The mounting bolts are 50 mm apart. Any suggestions are appreciated. Great site!

I use this one and it's worked great! Georgefix is a good seller with super fast shipping.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by fnickel View Post
      I would like to have the manual system only, so that I am not subject to vacuum malfunctions.
      There are no vacuum malfunctions.
      If you've got no vacuum, the engine isn't running.
      The petcock needs a piece of vacuum hose ten inches long. Replace it once every twenty years, there will be no problems ever.
      The stock petcock from George will last twenty years or so too.
      There is no lever, because there is no reserve.
      You use the fuel gauge, just like in your car.

It is beautiful in it's simplicity.
      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Yeah, just use a small screwdriver to move it to prime, if you should find yourself needing to actually use the prime.

Comment

FYI, Suzuki only used those petcocks in 1980, and you are NOT missing the lever ... there never was one.

For those who prefer a manually operated petcock, a popular replacement brand is Pingel, though they are very pricey.

Good luck!

Comment

Working...
          X