Willing to learn...from a pro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Willing to learn...from a pro

Here's the thing. I would love to be able to wrench on my own scoot. Problem is that I lack the confidence. Because of that, even though everyone may say that it is easy I probably wont do it.
    Like someone told me that rebuilding carbs is a sinch. I really doubt that.

I am from the Greater Springfield, MA area and would gladly pay someone to walk me thru a carb rebuild and setup. Or check out things on my bike and walk thru fixing it if it is bad.
    I also need a sprocket and chain replacement (I think) and would like assistance in doing that.
    It's not like I havent tried stuff. I just get the sneaky suspicion that I am either missing things that I should be looking at, or making things worse.
    Half the time when reading these posts I dont even know what you all are talking about.
    I have no problem fixing cars. So I can wrench. But, these things are greek to me.
    Any locals wanna make a friend and help a friend out? Like I said I can pay, I'm not rich you understand, but I will do what I can.
    Please dont tell me to just ask questions on the board and that people can help me that way. It just aint gonna happen.

If you can wrench on a car you can do a bike It's easier in some ways.
    Get a manual & go for it. The carb series is excellent place to start on a carb repair

Comment

That's exactly what I mean

Well I went ahead and took it to the local bike shop. I know it's going to cost me. I have a manual. From Clymer. I just cant bring myself to actually do any of it. Not the intricate stuff anyway. I have changed my brakes and done base line things. But rebuilding a carb? Never. I am certain that I will break more than I fix while trying. Telling me to just dive in is not going to motivate me to do it.
      When I learned to wrench on cars I had a pro with me showing me the ropes. There were plenty of pitfalls to look out for and he made sure I learned about them. That's kind of what I am looking for here.
      I could look into taking a course from the local tech school. Expensive but it may be worth it. Could payoff as great side job in the future I guess.
      It's hard to believe that there is NO ONE in the Springfield area that could show me the ropes. Well it's too late now. Bikes getting tooled by a paid for pro and the worst part is that I dont even get to watch.

Comment

Sorry, I wish I had seen this sooner. I am in the greenfield area, and would be happy to help.

I have a good shop area in chesterfield, MA at my mom's house.

You're right. I would have never known how to go about doing carbs without a mentor. Now, I've done it a few times and am much more confident.

sending PM for contact info - I'm free tonight. Call back the mechanic.
        Yamaha fz1 2007

Comment

Working on and getting familiar with your carbs is easy.
          You can often get a set of carbs similar to yours that are not really road worthy anymore but great to take apart and learn from. Carbs like these can be found free or very cheap.
          Then, use the carb series here and/or get a factory manual and take stuff apart without any fear of things. You'll learn the ropes of inspection, cleaning, float adjustments, part replacement, everything.
          Get confident at it and tackle your own carbs.
          And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
          Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

That's a great idea

That is a great idea. I'm gonna hunt for a set of carbs. Probably not a bad idea to have a spare set anyhoo.
            Bike is comin out of the shop tonight. 400 bucks later for a set of sprockets, O-ring chain, diagnostic for charging system failure, and regulator replacement. Not too bad I guess. He even took the time to show me some things. I learned alot. Worked out I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Rocket GS1100 View Post
              400 bucks later for a set of sprockets, O-ring chain, diagnostic for charging system failure, and regulator replacement.
              Not too bad. I paid $315 just for the parts for mine.

Comment

Working...
              X