Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Quick question regarding coils/plug-wires.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quick question regarding coils/plug-wires.

So, I think I need new plug wires as the bike runs like **** in damp weather. Sure, it could be something else, but I'm going to start here as the wires are clearly original anyway...

From the looks of it, the wires appear to be PART OF the ignition coil. Is this true? Do I have to replace the coils juts to get new plug wires? If so, it's not a big deal but I'm just wondering about this thanks.

I've read that you can "dig" out the old wires and put new in and seal them with silicone.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

The old wires should pull out of the coils and can be replaced. Sometimes if they do not come out in one piece you will need to dig the leftovers out.
      82 GS850L - The Original http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ePics067-1.jpg
      81 GS1000L - Brown County Hooligan http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ivePics071.jpg
      83 GS1100L - Super Slab Machine http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...t=DCP_1887.jpg
      06 KLR650 - "The Clown Bike" http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...nt=SERally.jpg
      AKA "Mr Awesome"

Comment

Try some NGK boots first. 15 minutes worth of work including new spark plugs. Runs like a champ !! \\/
        82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Do not EVER use silicone to seal an electrical connection from water. It will not seal, but it will appear to and it will cover the corrosion so you wont be able to see the damage. It will also short out easily in the rain and you will be wondering what is wrong. If you do dig out the old epoxy on a set of coils/plug wires, it is best to replace with original material. Use JB Weld to fill the dug out spots. Its epoxy.

Earl

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
          I've read that you can "dig" out the old wires and put new in and seal them with silicone.
          Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

That human beings can not bear too much reality, explains so much.

Comment

Thanks for setting me straight Earl:-D
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Silicone is treacherous. The first time you find yourself on the bike in the rain, it will start cutting out, backfiring and trying to die. You'll go crazy trying to find the problem because the one thing you will automatically rule out is that nice, new silicone seal you put on the wiring. LOL When asked what is the best use for silicone, my reply is that if you take a knife and spread a thick layer on a slice of bread, it makes a wonderful tool for picking up broken glass.
              Other than that, it aint worth even a tiny pile of doggy doo. :-)

E.

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
              Thanks for setting me straight Earl:-D
              Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

That human beings can not bear too much reality, explains so much.

Comment

[I joined the GS Resources forum because I'm working on a friends '77 8V GS750 as a favor. I've gained a good bit of real world GS knowledge from everyone already! Here is my first (perhaps lame) post]: I replaced the wires in the coils, and there appears to be a trick to it. The first one I cut short and wound up digging out, and it took forever. On the next wire I used a wood chisel to knock off the external epoxy without cutting or nicking the wire. With a strong tug, the whole wire and all the sealing epoxy came out, leaving a clean I.D. without "digging". I don't think it was luck, because I repeated the process on the second coil and two spare coils. 20 minutes or so from old wires to new, FWIW.

Comment

Great first post tommystinson. Thanks for sharing the method that worked for you.
                  Hmmmm... i have seen that name before. Replacements?
                  2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by tommystinson View Post
                    [I joined the GS Resources forum because I'm working on a friends '77 8V GS750 as a favor. I've gained a good bit of real world GS knowledge from everyone already! Here is my first (perhaps lame) post]: I replaced the wires in the coils, and there appears to be a trick to it. The first one I cut short and wound up digging out, and it took forever. On the next wire I used a wood chisel to knock off the external epoxy without cutting or nicking the wire. With a strong tug, the whole wire and all the sealing epoxy came out, leaving a clean I.D. without "digging". I don't think it was luck, because I repeated the process on the second coil and two spare coils. 20 minutes or so from old wires to new, FWIW.

I did the same when I did it but still one of them stuck in place.....

Dan
                    1980 GS1000G - Sold
                    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Once in a while I'll run into a Replacements fan! To make it even better, I have a brother Bill. My brother and I scored tickets by showing our licenses during a college radio station giveaway back when I was in high school, then mom said I couldn't go because it was at a bar. !@#$$%!
                      My friend is married with four kids and a horse, so the 750 he bought last year might not be the highest priority in the family budget. I had snipped the ends off of the original wires as a matter of habit, but then I checked the caps. Best was 10K Ohm, worst was 250 KOhm. I had a universal wire set in the garage, so he can save the money for gas, rather than new plug caps.
                      I might need to pick up a GS for myself one of these days. "Overbuilt" doesn't really do them justice. I would say that they're "built like a brick s**thouse" Nice bikes.

Comment

Working...
                      X