• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

630 series drive chain

Does anyone sell a high quality replacement 630 series drive chain
    anymore. I'm looking to replace the chain on my 83 1100ED and
    would like to upgrade the sprockets (stock gearing) and chain
    with better quality items. Any tips/directions are much appreciated.

Chaparral Motorsports has the RK O-Ring Chain 630SO at a bargain $85.44 for a 96 link chain. This is a top quality super heavy duty 11,100 lb tensile strength 630 O-ring chain with a 20,000 mile warranty. Orders over $100 ship free.

Comment

I bought a D.I.D 630V O-Ring chain, which I think is comparable. MAW has a decent price, but I've seen some bad customer reviews.

Comment

I've run nothing but the RK "O" ring chain 630 SO on my 1150E. I will vouch for it being a damn good chain. I average about 20K+ miles of chain life with it on this bike, which aint easy on chains. LOL

I use Dennis Kirk.

E.

Originally posted by Boondocks View Post
        Chaparral Motorsports has the RK O-Ring Chain 630SO at a bargain $85.44 for a 96 link chain. This is a top quality super heavy duty 11,100 lb tensile strength 630 O-ring chain with a 20,000 mile warranty. Orders over $100 ship free.
        All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

630 to 530 conversion

I'm just considering the same thing, a 630 chain replacement. I was recommended the DID O-Ring chain, about $150 up here in Canada. One shop suggested that I consider converting to 530 chain and sprockets. They are still available for my 1980 GS1100L. Most of the large, powerful bikes these days come with a 530 chain. A DID X-Ring 530 chain with both sprockets will run about $240 up here. They said that the 530 will actually last longer than the 630 because it is lighter, and the quality of the current chains is much better than the original 630 chains from 25 plus years ago. The bulk and weight of the 630 actually causes it to wear out faster. That was this shop's opinion, anyway.

Comment

My experience with a 530 is limited. My 750 was removed from the GS life rather unexpectedly. But while I had it, I was happy. I'm currently looking into replacing my 1100's 630 chain and sprockets with a 530 conversion.

Brad bt

Comment

Originally posted by fnickel View Post
              ... Most of the large, powerful bikes these days come with a 530 chain. A DID X-Ring 530 chain with both sprockets will run about $240 up here. They said that the 530 will actually last longer than the 630 because it is lighter, and the quality of the current chains is much better than the original 630 chains from 25 plus years ago. The bulk and weight of the 630 actually causes it to wear out faster. That was this shop's opinion, anyway.
              If a 530 chain is lighter than a 630 chain, it is primarily because it is of less robust construction. A 630 is .750 in. (6/8") and a 530 is .625 in. (5/8") pin to pin center. The chains are the same width (3/8 in.). For a given length, a 530 chain requires 20% more links than a 630. The sprockets are the same width, so there is no weight savings there.

There is a weight saving in 530 chain, more significant in the less strong variety. As 530 chain tensile strength is increased in premium varieties, the construction becomes more robust until the weight is close to a 630 chain. For instance:

A RK 530XSO Premium X-ring chain with 9,200 lb. tensile strength weighs 6.08 lbs for a 120 link chain, the length equivalent of a 11,100 lb. tensile strength 630SO O-ring chain which weighs 6.48 lb., a savings of 0.4 lb and a decrease of 1,900 lb. in tensile strength.

The strongest 530 D.I.D. 530ZVM2 Super Street X²-Ring ZVM chain with 10,370 lb. tensile strength would weigh 5.82 lb., a savings of .66 lb. and a decrease of 730 lb. in tensile strength compared to the RK 630 chain (6.5% less, not very significant).

All else being equal, the main reason that a premium 530 chain weighs less than a 630 is that the roller diameter is smaller. This saves some weight, and transfers pressure and wear to the smaller sprocket teeth.

All else being equal, the bulk, weight, and strength of a 630 chain allows it to last longer, in spite of BS opinions to the contrary.

What is not equal is that the newest premium 530 chains have replaced O-rings with advanced designs with different trade names like X-Ring, RX-Ring, etc.. These advanced rings have multiple sealing lips that were designed to last longer with less pressure on the chain side plates than the standard O-ring. This should better seal the permanent lubrication between the pin and the bushing. If these advanced seals last longer than an O-ring, the chain life should be extended.

Extravagant claims of a premium 530 chain having up to 2.5 times the wear resistance of an O-ring chain are made in the D.I.D. specs. An RK 630SO O-ring chain can easily go over 20,000 miles with the simplest of maintenance (hence the guarantee). This would imply that the D.I.D. chain should be good for better than 50,000 miles. This claim is not supported by real world results and is marketing BS using some undisclosed test methods.

The RK630SO 630 O-ring chain with 11,100 lb. tensile strength is $85.44 for 96 links. The equivalent links for a 530 chain would be 116. Here are some comparative prices of 116 link 530 chains from Chaparral:

D.I.D. Chain - 530V Professional - O-ring 9,600 lb tensile strength - $83.52
              D.I.D. Chain - 530VM Gold - X-ring 9,760 lb tensile strength - $125.28
              D.I.D. Chain - 530ZVM X-Ring 10,400 lb tensile strength - $135.72

The 630 O-ring chain is said to be overkill in size and strength. Personally, I think that it is part of the charm of the bulletproof, overbuilt GS series. I like overkill, especially when it comes at a reasonable price.
              Last edited by Guest; 03-29-2007, 11:53 AM.

Comment

Philip, as usual your post is well researched and detailed. I for one appreciate your time and follow your lead for good decisions and purchases.
                1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                  Philip, as usual your post is well researched and detailed. I for one appreciate your time and follow your lead for good decisions and purchases.
                  Thanks, Bill. It's always refreshing to be appreciated and hear some kind words.

Comment

hi

Have a DID 630 chain and its had its day after 55,000 klms and im getting another on. If you want genuine differant gearing a 1980 GSX1100/750 L has a 40 th rear. And i use a 750 front sprocket as it hasnt all the "dampering" stuff attatched. Just a thought.

Comment

The smaller size chain is sometimes used for a little extra tire clearance- say bigger tire

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1 View Post
                        The smaller size chain is sometimes used for a little extra tire clearance- say bigger tire
                        A 630 and a 530 chain are both 3/8 inch wide, so there is no additional clearance with a 530 chain.

Comment

Dang! Now you've got me reconsiderring the conversion.

Brad bt

Comment

Yep, the only way to save on chain width is to go with a 520 chain. The GSXR 1000 front sprocket will fit the spline on the GS output shaft, but you'll have to search through the JT Sprockets catalog to find a 520 rear sprocket that has the same 6 bolt pattern and dimensions as the GS sprocket carrier.

Comment

Actually, Boondocks, you're wrong on a couple of things. First, the 530 sprockets ARE lighter & if you put a 45 tooth 530 sprocket on top of a 45 tooth 630 you will see why. The same gear ratio sprockets are CONSIDERABLY smaller in diameter. Therefore, LIGHTER! Also, The new 530s also can be bought with the SAME strength as the 630s, hence Pro Stock Bikes ALL running 530 chains. I race NHRA Division 7 ET/MC & the 530 is PLENTY strong to go an ENTIRE season problem free. So, Any of you guys thinking about converting to 530, DO it because it is FREE horsepower & strenght & longevity is NOT an issue with today's new 530 chains. Ray.

Comment

Working...
                              X