Multiple Electrical Issues?? Any ideas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Multiple Electrical Issues?? Any ideas?

Ok, so i just purchased a 1979 1000E and it sat around a neighbors garage since 1989 and it started right up!!! Put about 100 miles on it, then i had some problems. No spark. I am highly versed in electrical, so i went to the task of finding out my issue. First, i check wiring near the battery, and multiple wire connectors have melted heatshinks(high resistance/excessive current flow?) checked power to coil. B+ to orange wires with white tracer to coil B+. B+ to yellow wires at breaker points. Clean black and grey wires from points to coil. (.3 ohm) ..now i have an open from the 1-4 plug wire and 2-3 plug wire(checking resistance of coil). and when i disconnect the breaker point signal wire i get b+ at the coil side(short to voltage) on both the black and grey wire. killsiitch and ign switch are working properly. any ideas? (NO blown fuses)
    Last edited by Guest; 03-28-2007, 06:50 PM.

schematic

If anyone knows where to find a wiring schematic for the ignition system online or has the ability of e-mailing one to me, it would be much apprectiated. i dont want to spend 30 bucks for a schematic!!!

1979 gs1000 e

Comment

update...

just checked voltage while cranking.....6-7 enough? haha..guess the battery is junk..even with the charger on boost it struggles...and i drop about a volt to the connector to the coil....anyone out there with a schematic for a 79 1000e?

Comment

Check the stator paper on the homepage. You could have a blown stator or reg/rec.

Brad bt

Comment

With your "charger on boost" you may have just blown your regulator/rectifier.

The R/R will try to regulate the voltage, no matter the source. When chargers are on their "boost" setting, they can put out considerably more than 14-15 volts in order to also carry enough amperage to start the engine. Your R/R will try (usually unsuccessfully) to regulate that.

This is the exact same reason that, when jump-starting with a car, you do NOT have the car running. The car's battery is VERY capable of cranking our bikes for longer than the starter can stand, and still have enough to re-start the car. If the engine is running, the alternator might be putting out over 14 volts. If your regulator has a set-point of 13.8, it will try to regulate the output of the car's alternator. Again, this is usually unsuccessful.

Check your charging system using the Stator Papers on this site to see if you have anything left.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by pfallone View Post
            If anyone knows where to find a wiring schematic for the ignition system online or has the ability of e-mailing one to me, it would be much apprectiated. i dont want to spend 30 bucks for a schematic!!!

1979 gs1000 e
            GO TO SMOKERIDERS DIAGRAMS.SHOULD BE WHAT YOU NEED.
            future owner of some year and displacement GS bike,as yet unclaimed and unowned.

Comment

next step

Ok, so based on the info and what you guys are saying, i believe my scenario is right. i bought it last april, put gas in it and she fired up with a charge. Ran great for 100 miles, then after sittin a couple days she didnt want anything to do with starting. (the batt is toast) i never checked it then, but it all makes sense now. Now its time to get a new battery (if i can save the current one, ill bring it to work and tend to it, maybe charge it), get the bike running again, then try the statorpage test. i wish i would have known about all this BEFORE i decided to buy the GS that has been sitting for 17 years. hopefully it all goes well, i loved the ride of it, and i want to see how it fares agaisnt my old mans 04' fatboy with the stage2 FI kit. (haha, that hog is no joke) Still a question on the coils. What resistance reading should i have post-to-post (1-4 , 2-3) around 5 ohms correct? i am showing an open for some reason, maybe its an error, beer can do wonderful things. Ive already found the smokin diagrams. and the 79 850 diagram is the same??? it appears that way, in general, ive jsut been following wires and theory. thanks for the replies guys
              Last edited by Guest; 03-29-2007, 07:03 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X