Test ignition coil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Test ignition coil

How do you do a funtional test on a coil to see if it is good or bad?
    Last edited by Guest; 03-29-2007, 12:48 AM.

Connect a multimeter between the two terminals on the coil setting the meter to the ohms scale. A 3 ohm coil is ok if it shows between 3 and 5 ohms.
    Points type ignitions used 5 ohm coils and electronic ignitions used 3 ohm.
    I have not had any problems using either system with coils showing 3 to 5 ohms resistance across the terminals. Resistance between the spark plug caps should be 30 to 50K ohms if you have the stock 5k resistor caps on each spark plug wire.

E.

Originally posted by D.Harrison View Post
    How do you do a funtional test on a coil to see if it is good or bad?
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

That human beings can not bear too much reality, explains so much.

Comment

I checked the coilsand I got 3.13 ohms on both coils. I read 104ohms on 1-4 and 96 ohms on 2-3. I did the test out of the Climer book by hooking up the voltmeter to the pickup coil leads into the CDI box. Still no spark. I have voltage present when key on none when key off. Do I rip it all apart and buy dyna s?

Comment

To get a 104/96 ohm reading, it sounds like you're set to the wrong scale on your meter. You want a scale that covers 30,000 to 50,000 ohms.

E.

Originally posted by D.Harrison View Post
        I checked the coilsand I got 3.13 ohms on both coils. I read 104ohms on 1-4 and 96 ohms on 2-3. I did the test out of the Climer book by hooking up the voltmeter to the pickup coil leads into the CDI box. Still no spark. I have voltage present when key on none when key off. Do I rip it all apart and buy dyna s?
        Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

That human beings can not bear too much reality, explains so much.

Comment

Working...
        X