Clutch Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch Issues

I've searched and searched and found remedies for most every other clutch problem but I'm not quite sure they would solve my clutch problems.

1981 GS 550 L

The clutch has been properly adjusted by the clymer manual but one problem has recently developed. The clutch has plenty of tension and enough free play at the handle. When I start the bike the clutch kicks back out how it should and when I first take off everything is fine. Shifting between gears is fine too. But if I'm stopped at a light for more than a brief moment with the clutch held in, there is no tension to pull the lever back when I let go to get going again. I end up having to play with the adjustment screw in the hadle to regain tension. After I regain tension, it's usually too much tension and I don't have any free play so I have to readjust. Quite a hassle if you ask me, so I've been avoiding in town riding as much as possible.

So basically if it's a quick grab and release the clutch works fine. But if I have to hold it in for any considerable amount of time, the clutch doesn't kick back out. Should I plan on replacing the clutch basket springs or the friction plates or what?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Bradley

Gosh, that seems really weeerd. I would think, actuator in primary cover or pushrod thru engine gummed up, cable, or clutch lever pivot. Tension on springs doesn't come & go. Like I said WEEEEERD.
    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Pull the clutch cable right off the bike and make sure the inner cable moves freely in both directions for the full extent of it's travel. A binding cable could cause you symptoms.

Comment

The cable moves freely. I just put it on a month or two ago and routed it the same way the old one was. I've also already pulled it off to make sure it stilll moved freely. When I loose resistance the cable does seem like it's bound up but if I screw the lever adjuster all the way out and gently pull it will regain resistance and then I have to screw the adjuster back in to make sure I have enough free play. I'm pretty much so clueless on this issue.

Comment

Originally posted by B Evil View Post
          The cable moves freely. I just put it on a month or two ago and routed it the same way the old one was. I've also already pulled it off to make sure it stilll moved freely. When I loose resistance the cable does seem like it's bound up but if I screw the lever adjuster all the way out and gently pull it will regain resistance and then I have to screw the adjuster back in to make sure I have enough free play. I'm pretty much so clueless on this issue.
          It seems like your clutch plates or disk are getting stuck open. Pull the clutch out and look for damage to the basket, sleeves and bearings.

Comment

Sounds like the basket might have a notch or burr on it. And, as mentioned above, check the various bearings for drag and damage.
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Well I found the problem today. I took the clutch adjustment cover off and decided to shoot some grease through the fitting. After working the grease in there a little bit, the clutch seemed to operate a little smoother so I went ahead and took the entire clutch cable cover off to make sure grease was getting through to the back side. And low and behold, the return spring popped loose from the bottom braket. I reconnected it and bent the hook a little bit so it won't come off so easily, reassembled and the clutch action is near perfect now. She feels a little softer than I personally think it should so I'll probably try to replace a few of the clutch basket springs and check the plates at the same time anyways.

Thanks for your help and who would thought that one little spring could make so much of difference.

Comment

Working...
              X