82 GS650GL Airbox / idle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82 GS650GL Airbox / idle

I stopped by the local dealer the other day to pickup a new air filter for mine, as the PO had just rubber banded a piece of foam in.... Now for the fun question... What is supposed to hold the cap on the airbox? The PO ran bungee cords to hold it on, and I'm curious if that's what's causing my idle issues, or if it's the intake o-rings & boots.

The bike runs pretty solid, but when you start it, it idles at about 1200rpm... After riding for a good 10 minutes, it starts idling at about 3400rpm. I was doing some searching on the forums, and think it could be the o-rings, but the PO said he did a carb rebuild about 3 years ago.

I asked the dealer about a replacement airbox, but I was curious if there's just a clamp I need. The rest of the airbox seems to be in good working order, no cracks or any damage, so I'd hate to replace it.

I've only seen airbox lids that either had a small clamp or used a couple of screws. It highly likely the PO did not replace the intake boot "O" rings. I would replace them. They're only about a buck fifty each. That should solve the increasing idle problem.

E.

[quote=rmarrs;613237]I stopped by the local dealer the other day to pickup a new air filter for mine, as the PO had just rubber banded a piece of foam in.... Now for the fun question... What is supposed to hold the cap on the airbox? The PO ran bungee cords to hold it on, and I'm curious if that's what's causing my idle issues, or if it's the intake o-rings & boots.
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

I have this exact same bike. there's two metal clips that slide forward/backwards, one on top, one on the bottom, to hold the airbox cover on.

#13 in the link

Yamaha fz1 2007

Comment

Thanks, that's what I was looking for. I'll stop by the dealer and put the order in today. Sounds like a weekend project. I was going to tear the tank apart and try to pretty up some of the metal on the bike this weekend anyways. I didn't see any screw holes on the airbox, so I'm going to guess it uses the clamp. Maybe I'll ask the dealer about that too.

Thanks

Comment

You're too quick for me spchips. That's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor View Post
            I've only seen airbox lids that either had a small clamp or used a couple of screws. It highly likely the PO did not replace the intake boot "O" rings. I would replace them. They're only about a buck fifty each. That should solve the increasing idle problem.

E.

Should I replace the boots themselves, or just the O Rings? I thought I read something about replacing the boots ever 20 years. I was at the local dealer for lunch and they said $26.95/piece for the boots. The O-Rings were like $2, as you said. He just forgot to put them on the order, and as I was staring at all the new flashy bikes I couldn't afford, I didn't realize he didn't. Gotta call them to order them.

Comment

Originally posted by rmarrs View Post
              Should I replace the boots themselves, or just the O Rings? I thought I read something about replacing the boots ever 20 years. I was at the local dealer for lunch and they said $26.95/piece for the boots. The O-Rings were like $2, as you said. He just forgot to put them on the order, and as I was staring at all the new flashy bikes I couldn't afford, I didn't realize he didn't. Gotta call them to order them.
              You're getting robbed on the parts. Go to bikebandit.com and save about 20-25% of what you're paying the local stealer. I would recommend doing the boots regardless of whether they are shot now are not. If they've never been replaced before, you're running on borrowed time anyway.

Comment

I'd suggest mrcycles.com. They tend to be a bit cheaper.

Brad bt

Comment

Originally posted by rmarrs View Post
                  Get the o-rings and boots and also make sure you have air filter oil for your air filter.The high idle is the o-rings.Be sure to tighten them to 6 to 8 ft.lbs.Also replace those old phillips screws with allen heads.You can get them at weslakes in ss. or regular.Also take a look at your fuel line,you might want to replace that while you are in there.Dont trust what po's say.They are the ones trying to get rid of the bike.He said He went thru the carbs,I bet he did, with a can of carb cleaner thru the air box,other wise he would no the importance of a good air filter when it come to these bikes.If you have time and patience these bikes will reward you with years of riding! Good luck.

Comment

He said He went thru the carbs,I bet he did, with a can of carb cleaner thru the air box,other wise he would no the importance of a good air filter when it come to these bikes.
                    And the carb cleaner probably ate the original filter, so to be "cost effective"-AKA cheap- he replaced the filter with his genius self-engineering.

Comment

Exactly!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by GS850_Coug View Post
                        And the carb cleaner probably ate the original filter, so to be "cost effective"-AKA cheap- he replaced the filter with his genius self-engineering.
                        EXACTLY!!!!! And remember the tires are 10 years old but still have good tread on them,should last a long time,yeah right!

Comment

I'd agree with you all, if the PO wasn't friend of the family :P He's a good guy, and means well, he's just not the greatest mechanic.

I got the thing all torn apart, the boots are a little stiff, but not nearly as bad as I expected. The o-rings are in pretty decent shape, no cracks, still soft rubbery feeling, although getting a little frayed around the edges. I think if/when the PO changed them, he over torqued them. The carbs have definitely been rebuilt recently, they're almost spotless. I'd order the boots and o-rings online, but I want to ride this weekend, so I'll pay the extra 30% to pick them up at the dealer tomorrow. I appreciate the tips on cheap parts though.

I also found an inline filter on the fuel tap from the tank to the petcock, so I'll need to replace that hose. Everything else seems to look pretty good. I might be looking for a new tank soon though, this one is pretty dinged up. May have to do the exhaust to, as you can tell it was dropped once. Big dent on the end. No road rash though, so maybe it just fell over in the garage :/

Comment

Well, she's all back together... and not running.

I got her to start, and I can keep her idling at about 1000rpms if I pull the choke all the way. I can rev her and she revs strong and sounds better than ever, but if I let go of that choke, she stalls out.

Any suggestions?

Comment

Nevermind, running great now. Thanks again. I did have to go lookup the petcock diagram. Just in time to go for a quick ride before the sun goes down.

Comment

Working...
                              X