Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1000 Air Box Lid Seal

Hi

How important is the seal on the airbox lid on the GS1000?
    Mine's aged and no longer sealing...
    The bikes completely standard apart from using an oiled foam filter in the box. Is it a good idea to put some tape round the lid to stop air getting through?

Thanks 8) 8)

GS1000 Airbox lid seal

If you look on the bottom of the air box you'll see some holes that are providing the air for the carbs. The lid on top only keeps the dirt and bits and pieces from falling in...helps with the noise a little,too. I wouldn't sweat any air leakage around the cover.

Comment

My seal was also deteriorated when I bought my bike. I used some adhesive backed weatherstrip from the hardware store to make a new one and it has held up for over a year.

Comment

My bike runs great without an airbox cover at all. The bike does need the air filter properly installed in the air box for it to run well.

Comment

I also own a GS1000s.
          I have the stock air box in place.
          I agree that some weather stripping will seal it.
          My mechanic,also owns an S, runs individual air cleaners.
          My motor has been bored 20, stock cams, larger pistons, slightly higher compression. I also decked the block and heads.Nothing radical.
          I also run a K&N air filter, with a 4>1 Kerker. Runs great.
          Make sure it seals into the "cone" that connects the air box to the carbs.
          Most of the '80's models of GS's use the same air box or at least the lid.
          Check ebay or a local junk yard for one.

Keith
          Keith
          -------------------------------------------
          1980 GS1000S, blue and white
          2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

Airbox

If you leave it off, the only problem being rain water running down the tank onto the filter.

Comment

Working...
            X