Gaskets and sealants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gaskets and sealants

Do you have to use sealant on the head gasket and cover gasket? When I thought my bike jumped timing it made this loud screeching sound just before dying. I was reading another post and he/she said they heard the same sound, to find out it was sealant in the oil line. Maybe I have this problem too. I used enough of that crap to get me worried. My question is do I have to use it? Also if I do have clog lines how do you clean it? Is it in the crank case or the head that would cause this problem? I took off the head cover and don't see any damage but I did hear that same sound describe in the other posting. After I took the carbs off (because I am rebuilding them) I sprayed some carb cleaner into each intake and it started right up. I was thinking that it was my carbs but maybe that is just one of the problems. I really will hate to tear down the whole engine but if I have to I will to get it right.
    James

I don't use it.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER use anything on a head gasket. Make sure the head, cylinders and gasket are dry and clean when installed. I don't like to use anything on the rubber valve cover gaskets. I currently have the head cover off my GS beacuse it leaks. I'm going to try to seal it with a very small line of non-hardening gasket sealer. On cork and paper gaskets I use wheel bearing grease.

Comment

I wounder how I clean this mess up?

Comment

try Gasket remover and a lot of patience

And never use anything on your gaskets, other than some grease on paper gaskets
          Last edited by Big T; 03-30-2007, 04:33 PM.
          1978 GS 1000 (since new)
          1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
          1978 GS 1000 (parts)
          1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
          1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
          1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
          2007 DRz 400S
          1999 ATK 490ES
          1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by stp1stp View Post
            Do you have to use sealant on the head gasket and cover gasket? When I thought my bike jumped timing it made this loud screeching sound just before dying. I was reading another post and he/she said they heard the same sound, to find out it was sealant in the oil line. Maybe I have this problem too. I used enough of that crap to get me worried. My question is do I have to use it? Also if I do have clog lines how do you clean it? Is it in the crank case or the head that would cause this problem? I took off the head cover and don't see any damage but I did hear that same sound describe in the other posting. After I took the carbs off (because I am rebuilding them) I sprayed some carb cleaner into each intake and it started right up. I was thinking that it was my carbs but maybe that is just one of the problems. I really will hate to tear down the whole engine but if I have to I will to get it right.
            James
            The oil passages are in the cases, cylinder block and head. To clean them all, you'd have to disassemble the motor.

Why don't you post up some more info on your noise problem so we can try to help you out with that?
            1978 GS 1000 (since new)
            1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
            1978 GS 1000 (parts)
            1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
            1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
            1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
            2007 DRz 400S
            1999 ATK 490ES
            1994 DR 350SES

Comment

I just order 4 carbs rebuild kits and a new petcock. As soon as I get the carbs back on I'm going to start it up and see if this happens again. The noise happen last fall. I just hope I don't cause any damage.

Comment

Working...
              X