No announcement yet.

bike running on 2 cylinders again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok, I'll check and see what its charging at later today. Is there a way for me to see if the dyna is shot? The problem doesn't happen every time I ride. Usually when its been a while since its 1 and 4 have gone out they will go out bad. Basically I will have to pull over and flip the coils and the bike will run great, last night was the first time a had to deal with backfiring and the cylinders going out repeatedly on a very short trip. It was also the first time they went out at highway speeds.

Where can I get these upgraded r/r units? Sounds like it wouldn't be a bad idea even if mine are working at the moment.

Comment

The reason I ask about the wiring harness is because when I flip the coils it usually runs fine for several hundred more miles. I doubt the coils are the fix, more me moving wires around. Similar effect to hitting something with a hammar until it works.

Comment

Well I finally got around to looking at the bike. When I looked for the r/r I was pleasantly surprised to see one large self contained unit. It actually looks identical to the ricks unit on z1enterprises. It is also grounded directly to the battery negative. The bike is going to the shop to have this one worked out. I still can't wrap my head around why reversing the coils would make any difference and only the left coil will be the one that stops firing. To make things worse, last time I rode it I remember oil leaking onto the part of my exhaust the mates the header with the muffler. And my master cylinder has a crack in the resevoir. I think that happened from my old mechanic over tightening the top when I had him switch it over to braided steel lines.

Comment

Time for an update, the wiring harness was the problem. There was a poor connection between a couple of bullet connectors and there were burn marks around it. The electricity was actually arking directly below the gas tank. The mechanic also let me know that the r/r and the wires are actually getting warm after only running for a few minutes at a time and that there are less than 12 volts charging the battery at 2000 rpms. They think that I need to replace the r/r. Does that sound right? I've never had a problem with the battery running out of power.

Comment

Working...
          X