GS850 How tight oil pan bolts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS850 How tight oil pan bolts?

I am installing a new gasket for the oil pan on my '82 GS850G. How tight should I tighten the bolts? (I managed to sheer one off and have started over again).

Thanks,

Caleb

My shop manual for the GS1100 indicates it should be around 4-6 lb-ft. I just firmed them up good with a smallish 1/4 inch ratchet, to just compress the gasket slightly. It's a pretty thin gasket. I think that's all that is needed.
    Last edited by Guest; 03-31-2007, 10:44 PM.

Comment

Thank you!

Much appreciated. That's what I imagined.

Comment

Get rid of that 3/4" ratchet Even the 3/8" Other than things like axels & head bolts a 1/4" ratchet set is all you need

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1 View Post
          Get rid of that 3/4" ratchet Even the 3/8" Other than things like axels & head bolts a 1/4" ratchet set is all you need
          But a 3/4 inch ratchet makes such a good hammer in a pinch :-D

Comment

I install oil pan bolts with a nutdriver. (screwdriver handle with a socket on the end) Its nearly impossible to turn a screwdriver handle with one hand with enough force to twist off a pan bolt. I blue loctite oil pan bolts.

Earl
            All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Pretty much any 6mm bolt going into aluminum gets 6 or 7 foot/lbs of torque.

The problem is that this is far below the accurate torque range of any torque wrench you're going to find in all but the most dedicated and wealthy home mechanic's shop. A good quality 1/4 inch drive torque wrench is quite expensive.

So you just have to develop the right feel -- keep in mind that this is simply 6 pounds on the end of a lever one foot long. So if your ratchet is six inches long, all you need is 12 pounds. If you're using allen head bolts, most adults can easily achieve or exceed the recommended torque with a small t-handle.
              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Yeah, 6 ft lbs is about what I can normally apply using a 6" long 1/4" drive ratchet and pressing on the end of the handle with one finger. Thats all I use, ONE finger. LOL

E.

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                Pretty much any 6mm bolt going into aluminum gets 6 or 7 foot/lbs of torque.

The problem is that this is far below the accurate torque range of any torque wrench you're going to find in all but the most dedicated and wealthy home mechanic's shop. A good quality 1/4 inch drive torque wrench is quite expensive.

So you just have to develop the right feel -- keep in mind that this is simply 6 pounds on the end of a lever one foot long. So if your ratchet is six inches long, all you need is 12 pounds. If you're using allen head bolts, most adults can easily achieve or exceed the recommended torque with a small t-handle.
                All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Working...
                X