Gas tank compatibility question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gas tank compatibility question

Good morning! Hope y'all are doing well.

I'm the super-proud owner of a 1982 GS650G. Love it. Runs like a happy dream, but it looks like a Mogadishu salvage job. :? Mainly, I've been hunting for a new gas tank to no avail (I also need new handlebars, new headers, a new paint job, etc., ), and I was wondering about compatibility.

I've used the search feature, but about the only thing I can find is that 1982 & 1983 models are very similar - could I salvage up an '83 model tank and stick it on there? Or perhaps a tank from an 850? A bigger tank would be nicer for long trips.

Or even a place where I could order a stock/blank tank that would sort-of fit.....

I do have some limited metalworking capacity to make brackets and such; I have sometime-access to a buddy's metal shop.

Please he'p me resto my beauty! Thanks for your time.

Bill

Nice bike

I was looking for a new tank for my bike as well. I saw a few on flea-bay over the few months I was looking, some in pretty good shape, some in not so good shape.

For a direct fit I believe the '81-83 GS650G tanks are all the same with the exception of the '82 and up tanks having the gas level sending unit in the tank. If you're handy with metal fabbing you could probably make a tank from a different year/engine size. I believe the things to worry about would be the bolt pattern on the rear of the tank, and the height of the tank to clear the petcock.

I'm sure some other more knowledgable folks will chime in.

You might just think about fixing the tank you've got... Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Chisenhallw View Post
      Good morning! Hope y'all are doing well.

I'm the super-proud owner of a 1982 GS650G. Love it. Runs like a happy dream, but it looks like a Mogadishu salvage job. :? Mainly, I've been hunting for a new gas tank to no avail (I also need new handlebars, new headers, a new paint job, etc., ), and I was wondering about compatibility.

I've used the search feature, but about the only thing I can find is that 1982 & 1983 models are very similar - could I salvage up an '83 model tank and stick it on there? Or perhaps a tank from an 850? A bigger tank would be nicer for long trips.

Or even a place where I could order a stock/blank tank that would sort-of fit.....

I do have some limited metalworking capacity to make brackets and such; I have sometime-access to a buddy's metal shop.

Please he'p me resto my beauty! Thanks for your time.

Bill

Welcome Bill! I too have an 82 650, but mine is the GL and I'm looking at putting an 850 tank on. I just recently talked to someone about shipping one to me, and I'm going to see if I can fab some mounts for it. If so, I'll let you know how it goes, and what you'll need to do.

Sounds like your bike is in the same situation mine is. Needs paint, exhaust, I can squeeze by with my existing handlebars, but replacing them wouldn't be out of the question. Just ordered some new mirrors, and a new seat cover.

Choke cable, air box sliders, and air filter should be arriving mid-this week.
      After those are in, the mechanical should be done, and it'll be ready for a little show work.

Comment

Originally posted by JTsGS650 View Post
        If you're handy with metal fabbing you could probably make a tank from a different year/engine size. I believe the things to worry about would be the bolt pattern on the rear of the tank, and the height of the tank to clear the petcock.

I'm sure some other more knowledgable folks will chime in.

You might just think about fixing the tank you've got... Good luck.
        My metal fabbing is not-bad. I might be able to do it, but I've never worked on a gas tank before - what's necessary to do to the gas-tank to keep the fumes from inside exploding when you fire up the torch? If I could figure out that, I might be able to pound out some 'lobes' for either side, thus both fixing the problem and expanding my gas tank both of which are happy ideas.

rmarrs, thanks for the advice! Definitely keep me posted on how it goes. And post pics! :-D

Comment

Originally posted by Chisenhallw View Post
          I've never worked on a gas tank before - what's necessary to do to the gas-tank to keep the fumes from inside exploding when you fire up the torch? If I could figure out that, I might be able to pound out some 'lobes' for either side, thus both fixing the problem and expanding my gas tank both of which are happy ideas.

Best I've heard is to let it air dry for a good time period before hand. I've got the perfect place to hang it in the shed for a week or two. I was going to just repaint my tank, but then the nice weather started approaching, and I caved in. I want to ride, and as it's my only bike, I couldn't have the tank off the bike for more than a day or two. So I started looking around for other tanks, and found a guy willing to part with an 850 tank for not too much money. As soon as I get a hold of the tank, I'll check it over, and see what I can figure out.

Comment

Thanks, bud!

Comment

Well fellows, you all might be in luck. I picked up a 650 G a couple weekends ago. The tank is good, "very" little rust and is straight, needs new paint though but could probably be buffed out. Handle bars seem to be ok but so so chrome, I havent tried to clean it up yet. It is missing the rear drive but seems mostly complete. I will try and post pictures tomorrow.
              V
              Gustov
              80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
              81 GS 1000 G
              79 GS 850 G
              81 GS 850 L
              83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
              80 GS 550 L
              86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
              2002 Honda 919
              2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Are you going to part it out? Dibs!!! :-D

Comment

Spare Tank.

One way is to wash the tank out with dawn dish soap. I did this to my 850gl tank before I sent it to be recoated. Just another suggestion.

Comment

Originally posted by ebakley View Post
                    One way is to wash the tank out with dawn dish soap. I did this to my 850gl tank before I sent it to be recoated. Just another suggestion.
                    If you are going to be welding on any gas tank, make sure you purge it with an inactive gas such as nitrogen or CO 2. Another quicker method is to fill the tank with water just up to the intended welding zone, leaving a small air pocket adjacent to the weld area. You may need to rotate the tank around until you get the air pocket in the intended area. After welding is completed, empty the water from the tank and flush it out with some metholated spirits. The meths will absorb any remnants of moisture left in the tank to avoid dilution of your fuel. Dont forget and leave the water in the tank for any prolonged period or you will end up with a rather rusty tank.
                    :) The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold
                    GS 850GT JE 1023 11-1 pistons. Sold
                    GS1150ES3 stock, V&H 4-1. Sold
                    GS1100GD, future resto project. Sold

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000001.jpg
                    http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000581.jpg

Comment

The bigger bikes have a wider tunnel. So some type of spacer would be needed. Might need to modify front of seat. You might look at some of the
                      HD Mustang style tanks

Comment

Working...
                      X