Gs1000g Forks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gs1000g Forks

I was attempting to replace the fork seals on my 1980 GS1000G. Unfortunately, I can't get the 8mm allen bolt on the bottom of each fork leg to come loose. (They will turn but won't loosen.) According to my shop manual, you need a "holding tool" to keep the rod from turning on the inside. I can't figure out what it will hold. Does any one have any info/advice/tips on getting the allen bolts out? I am stuck. Thanks.
    Last edited by Guest; 04-02-2007, 09:25 PM. Reason: Delete

Here is a picture of the "holding tool" that I made. It is a section of 5/8" all-thread rod with double nuts jammed at each end. It is long enough to stick out of the fork tube and be held with a wrench while you loosen the Allen-head bolt at the bottom.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

OR - Put the lower leg in a vice by clamping on the caliper mounting lugs. Put an air wrench on the allen bolt. With the other hand, grab the upper fork leg and apply pressure to pull it away from the lower leg.

This will keep the rod from spinning if you use an air wrench.....Did it many times.....

Comment

another option a 5/8th spark plug socket put it on a long ext the hex head works great

Comment

Working...
        X