1982 GS850L Won't Start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1982 GS850L Won't Start

My bike is a 1982 GS850L (I thought is was an 80 until i looked at the vin and saw the Z). My first problem is the fuel tap it drips while in the on position. I'm not sure whether I'll repair it or install a pingel (any suggestions on this?). I am getting spark on all four cylinders. My thoughts are that the needles are not seating and the carb is flooding do to the faulty fuel valve. I have not had time to rebuild the carb but since the bike was sitting in my friends garage for two years I thought it would be a good idea. My concern is that I will spend the money on rebuild kits for the carbs only to discover that they're not the problem. If anyone has any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated.

Note: Selling this awesome bike is not a suggestion.

I'm really not fond of starting fluid, but for a bike that has sat for two years, fresh gas & a shot of starting fluid may fix you right up. I would give it a try. Personally, I prefer the original fuel valve

Comment

After having set for 2 years with fuel in the carbs - your safest bet would be to rebuild the carbs - the investment in the kits is well worth it if your going to keep the bike. The pilot jets are most definitely blocked, and without those it will never idle. The process seems scary, but if you follow the guidelines found on the homepage and do a thorough job you'll be amazed at how well the bike will run. As for the petcock, you can also purchase a rebuild kit and make it like new as well. Good luck and remember there's a lot of experience lurking about - all you have to do is ask 8)

Comment

Re: 1982 GS850L Won't Start

I replaced my fuel petcock about a year ago with a Pingel. It doesnt have a vacum and is either on or off. No more wondering if the fuel problem is the petcock diaphram or the carbs. No more concern about maybe leaking fuel into the crankcase. I recommend the Pingel but you MUST everytime remember to shut it off when you shut down the bike. I made a rule for myself. The engine cannot be shut down if the fuel valve is in the on or reserve position. (unlike a vacum petcock, fuel flows always when in the on or res position regardless of the engine running or not)

Earl

Originally posted by jsutherl
        My bike is a 1982 GS850L (I thought is was an 80 until i looked at the vin and saw the Z). My first problem is the fuel tap it drips while in the on position. I'm not sure whether I'll repair it or install a pingel (any suggestions on this?). I am getting spark on all four cylinders. My thoughts are that the needles are not seating and the carb is flooding do to the faulty fuel valve. I have not had time to rebuild the carb but since the bike was sitting in my friends garage for two years I thought it would be a good idea. My concern is that I will spend the money on rebuild kits for the carbs only to discover that they're not the problem. If anyone has any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated.

Note: Selling this awesome bike is not a suggestion.
        All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I figured since I'm going to rebuild the carbs that I would replace the air box with pod filters. I figure that I need to increase the jet sizes by two to accommodate the increased air flow.
          I did manage to find time to remove the petcock the diaphragm appeared
          to be in good shape. I think that the valve is just not closing all of the way. I have considered using an inline valve between the petcock and the carbs but I also need to add an inline fuel filter and I don't won't to make the fuel line look cluttered. once it warms up i'll have more time to fix it.

Comment

Converting to pod filters will take MUCH more than increasing the mains. I wouldn't recommend it. You can check previous posts.

Comment

If you don't want to spend the money on a full rebuild kit for the carbs you might try this guy http://home.att.net/~robert.barr/
              he'll sell you just the o-rings for all four carbs for about $12.00 also you might want to try to get a rebuild kit for the petcock, it would be cheaper then buying the new one, and I would definatly recommend getting an inline fuel filter just to be on the safe side.

Comment

I used those O rings from Robert Barr. Its a great buy. As for the petcock I would rebuilt it first and if it still isnt working right go with the pingel. As for the carbs. CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN them, get the bike running right first and then switch over to the pods if you so desire.

Comment

I have to agree with Don Lobacz:

Converting to pod filters will take MUCH more than increasing the mains. I wouldn't recommend it.
                  The guys at Suzuki who designed these bikes knew what they were doing (they are GODS). ALL HAIL THE MOTORCYCLE GODS!!!!!
                  Each component is designed to work optimally with the rest of the system. Get your bike working properly in the stock configuration first, then if you are adventurous, do the performance mods only after YOU have a full understanding of how changing one part in the system will affect the rest of the system.

Comment

You can get a rebuild kit for the petcock on e-bay. They usually go for about $20.00. sometimes less.

Comment

Working...
                    X