Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can anyone measure there tank petcock mount holes ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can anyone measure there tank petcock mount holes ?

Louie here again !!

Can anyone with a GS750 measure there tank bolt holes from center to center where the fuel petcock valve mounts ?

Pretty please with sugar on top. I have a tank that is exactly 2 inches center to center and I need to order a new petcock valve for it.

Since my bike is such a mutt (last fella) I had to get a new tank for it that might be from a 1980 but my frame is 1979. The tank mounts to frame okay so who knows. Thanks for help.

Louie

hey Louie, I don't have a 750 so I can't measure for you, but you may be able to tell which one it is for this website http://www.crc2onlinecatalog.com/petcocks.htm they have some pretty good pictures of the three older styles the the GS's use. They also have pretty good prices on the rebuild kits for them. Hope this helps. This website has better prices but not as many pic's. http://www.cyclewareables.com/pages/...uelpetcock.htm

Comment

Louie,

I measured mine today ('78 GS750E, all stock). The center to center distance between the petcock mounting holes is 1-3/4 inches. :? Hope this helps.

Comment

Turns out....

Turns out I have a tank for a 1980 gs750 which is a tad bit longer and wider than the original tank for a 1979 but also holds more fuel. It has the type of fuel petcock valve that you have to use a screwdriver. I thought i was broken until I read on here that some tanks came with this petcock valve. I tested the unit and it works fine. I also found a rebuild kit for it if I need it at a web site listed above. Thanks for the link.

In case anyone else wonders it is the only tanks 1980 or above that have 2 inches hole to hole center. 1979 or older have the 1 and 3/4" mount holes center to center. The valves are not interchangeable.

However a really good solution is to order a pingel fuel valve with adapter plate. Hope this helps someone else out. One of these days I will write a paper about the different types of tanks, modifications, interchangeables, fuel valves and even list part numbers for the items with pictures to post on this site.

Later, Louie

Comment

Brilliant idea Louie.
          Dink
          but dont take too long!!!

Comment

Working...
          X