Counter Sprocket Spacers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Counter Sprocket Spacers

Hi all, I've replaced the counter shaft sprocket (front sprocket) on my 1982 Kat 750, but it came without those wierd cushions the stockers had. Apparently the stockers are really expensive, so I guess I'll have some spacers made up. Has anyone had to do this before? What are the dimensions of the spacers?

If no one knows, I will measure it up and let y'all know what I find.

Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.

Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.

Comment

Originally posted by 80GS1000 View Post
      http://www.z1enterprises.com/detail.aspx?ID=1887

Yeah but which one smarty pants???

Comment

YMMV, when replacing the old 630 stock front sprocket with an aftermarket one, I didn't need any spacers at all other than the stock one behind the sprocket to get the chain to line up and to bolt the sprocket on. With the new 520 offset sprocket I have now, it took a 1.25 mm spacer on the front of the sprocket to get it to bolt on. So, you might want to buy a handful of the spacers and see what works for you.

Comment

Take the cushion off the old sprocket and use it as a spacer. Make sure you use the inner and outer in the right spots as it does effect spacing. This does work cause I've done it. Make sure you use the lock tab washer or you will lose the sprocket.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

This was discussed appx 6 wks ago. Those things on the stock sprockets aren't spacers, they are noise dampeners. They don't space the sprocket out at all. The after market sprockets don't need any spacers, they are designed to fit. Don't see how you could fit the noise dapeners on an after market sprocket without drilling holes in it, and if they weren't drilled at the persice locations, they wouldn't work anyway. Check this out all you can before you go to spacing.
            1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Do a search for Sunstar Sprockets, posted back in Feb. Read the whole thing, plum to the end, It's explained fully there.
              1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

I tried to install a sprocket without the "cushion" on my 80 L model. First I measured the distance between the crankcase and the sprocket. Took off the old sprocket and put on the new with no spacer and the sprocket was not in the same spot. Took the cushion off the old sprocket and used the inner portion as a spacer. The sprocket now lined up. On my L model for some reason they did not use a lock tab washer. It just had a nut that inverted into the cushion. Even with seventy punds or more of tourque I kept spinning off the sprocket. I bought an E model nut and lock tab washer and did not use the outer cushion so the washer bit into the splines. Tightened down the nut and bent the tab over the nut and problem solved.
                1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
                X