Replacing the Stator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacing the Stator

Is it REALLY necessary to drain the oil while replacing the stator? I know my Clymer manual says to but just wanted to know if it is a must. Also, where can I get a new gasket for the engine cover I have to remove? Can I order one from my local Suzuki dealer?

You don't have to drain the oil to change the stator. You will lose it little because there is oil behind the cover, maybe 1/2 cup or so. If you're carefull and don't get any debris in there you should be fine. Maybe lean the bike against a wall on the right handlebar and you'll lose less oil but it's not a big deal either way. The gasket should be available from the local dealer.
    '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/
    https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4306/35860327946_08fdd555ac_z.jpg

Comment

Oil

When I put in my new stator, I put the bike on the center stand and didn't lose enough oil to even make a mess (unusual, for me.)

If you use the OEM gasket, your dealer will almost surely have to order it but it should take only 4 or 5 days.
      1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Thanks guys!

Comment

Chuckster,

I put a few more details on how to test the stator on your other thread. Make sure you need the stator before you order one.

Like the others have said, minimal to no oil loss when pulling the stator cover.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
          X